PDA

View Full Version : need help for when I'm teaching dd at church

Nightingale
09-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Kiandra turned four in June and started going to kids stuff at church. I lead almost all of it. For a while, I wasn't leading one part, and I would watch her from the back and she did great.

Whe I'm leading, she doesn't do well at all. She either won't sit, or she wants me, or wants to run around in circles and cause lots of distractions. She's not expected to sit for long periods of time, and our times are very interactive. And, I've seen her do it when other adults are leading. I know she can

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do? I'm having a really hard time teaching and keeping the other kids' attention.

TIA!

Nightingale
09-09-2007, 07:15 PM
tonite was a disaster. I just don't know what to do. I may need to give up teaching, but our church is so short-handed and I'm basically "it" for children's ministry. It's frustrating because I can't talk to most people about it, because they would probably just need to say I need to spank her. Even dh said that tonite. :cry :bheart I don't think I"d get much sympathy from the pastor and others at church. I want it to work, but I can't deal with it in the moment with 12-20 other kids there.

Tonite, there were about 14 or so kids. Kiandra started doing headstands. The total lesson time is about 15-20 minutes, including a game where you move around, and the lesson is interactive including objects and questions and such. I sat her on her bottom and told her to sit like all the other kids. She immediately did another headstand. I told her to go sit by the two workers that were there, and she ran the other direction. They ended up chasing her around the church for the next 10 minutes or so while I rushed through my lesson. When they'd get her and sit down with her, she'd yell at them. They were teenagers, and she somehow got away again. I'd keep seeing her run by the sanctuary doors.

We left immeidately after the lesson, rather than staying for games/craft/dinner.

I don't know what to do, Im really at a loss. ANYONE??

IChooseFaith
09-09-2007, 08:04 PM
just hugs - i feel your pain - i was asked to help with the cherub choir & I just *know* my 3y/o wouldn't mind for me :shrug

hope you get a solution...

is there a nursery she can be in? - i don't know if that is a doable situation, but just thinking that might work - also what is your DH doing during this time - could he offer some "back up"?

mamaKristin
09-09-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm the primary Sunday school teacher at our church, and I get all 3 of my kids in there with me. Last year was awful with my oldest, if I'm honest. He was all over the place and was (depending on attendance) my first or second most challenging child. Partially because he was *my* son, and I was more sensitive to his antics, and partially because it was me in charge. It was very frustrating most weeks.

What did help me out was pairing him up - either with an older student (we have a multi-age Sunday school) or having the other adult there be his 'hands on buddy'. That way it was someone other than me reminding him to keep his hands to himself or to use walking feet.

My suggestion would be to set her up beforehand with a buddy. If you have a teen or two on hand, designate one K's buddy for the session. That could keep that teen away from helping, BUT could alleviate the stress of having to juggle her demands in the moment, if that makes sense. By having someone designated to be with her, and interacting with her from the get-go, it could help set her up to be successful, and make the stress on you less pronounced.

Either way, it's so hard when it is our own child making the most noise or disruption. :yes2 As for me, I'm already finding that a year of maturing has made a world of difference with my son in Sunday school.

The Tickle Momster
09-10-2007, 07:12 AM
I think MamaKristin's idea of a teen buddy is a great one! I would also talk to your dd a little ahead of time. She is 4 and can understand some of the problem. Maybe you can have a code sign with her to remind her of your expectations if she's having trouble.

:hug2 I don't teach Sunday school right now since my kids are in each of the 3 youngest classes. It's too hard with my own kids in there.