PDA

View Full Version : Tooth erumption and fine motor skills

HomeWithMyBabies
09-07-2007, 01:00 PM
A bit of background: My second has a birth defect that has resulted in developmental delays. He's also a late teether. He turned two in July, and he only has the front four teeth and his first year molars. In the last month, his canines have starting to break through. :phew

When we went for his second year well visit on his birthday, I asked the ped about his teeth again. He got a good look and told me it did seem like they were coming...eventually. In the process of the checkup he asked how Peanut's fine motor skills were coming along. I told him we were working on that with OT, but he was still mostly using the raking method to pick things up.

The ped says, "Alot of times you'll see the fine motor pick up really quickly when the canines break through. It won't be long."

Ok, he was so right! Those canines are breaking through, and Peanut is using a pincher grip, all of a sudden! I wondered if any of you mamas had ever heard that and noticed it at the time, or looking back notice the correlation. And if anybody knows why, I'm really curious!

Hermana Linda
09-07-2007, 06:31 PM
I have no answer to your question, but I did want to tell you how happy I am to read this post. :hug

CapeTownMommy
09-11-2007, 04:19 AM
In the last 3 days, dd got another tooth (a top incisor, she only has 4 bottom teeth) and she figured out the pincher grip. Not sure if it's related, but interesting to be sure! :shrug

Hermana Linda
09-11-2007, 12:30 PM
:think Interesting indeed!

Victorious
09-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Sorry to put a damper on the theory, but dd has NO teeth and has developed a pretty good pincher grasp in the last 3 weeks or so :shrug.

However-Praise the Lord for your son's improvement!