PDA

View Full Version : Not hearing or not understanding? I'm not sure what the problem is..

hey mommy
09-04-2007, 09:46 AM
And I'm not sure if this even belongs here or in the special needs forum. Or if this is normal even..

Anyway. We say C 'has a problem listening'. When we say that, we don't mean it as he's just not doing what he's told. We mean it as he's not understanding that he's being told something. Does that make sense?

For example, we'll tell him from across the room "C, close the door"(something that has been impounded in his head for almost 4 years) and he'll stand there looking at us like "what????" and then we'll tell him again and he still looks at like "what?" and then he'll finally close the door. But it's like it takes longer than "normal" for his brain to process what he is being told to do and then for his body to actually do it.

Any ideas on this? I'm not sure if it's normal or something I need to talk to my dr. about(he goes on Fri.. was today, but had to be rescheduled). If I am right in his face and tell him, sometimes he'll get it quickly.

ETA more... I also wanted to mention that if we talk normal, he'll say "what?", but if we talk slow he usually understands.

Marsha
09-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Subbing, Ainslee is the SAME way.

bliss
09-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Booger is midly hearing impaired and used to have the same issue - she has grown out of it to a certain extent. My methods included: Saying her name once, loudly, and waiting for her to look at me before speaking further, and using sign language or even just hand motions to help me get my point across, even though she is hearing, it helped me not have to repeat myself if I could be as clear as possible with my words and my body. (i.e. "Booger, shut the door! 5 times would be replaced with "Booger!" wait for eye contact "I need you *point* to shut the door *sign for door or point at door and make pulling/closing motion* Ok? or Understand?" It seems like a pain but it is much less annoying than repeating yourself.
I think the "not getting it" thing is age appropriate to a certain extent - they have so much going on in that little skull, it is a little hard to process those requests from us sometimes - esp. when it is not interesting to them, like a chore or something.

ArmsOfLove
09-05-2007, 07:59 AM
I would have his hearing checked, but someone also posted a great article at one point about how young children's brain actually takes longer to process things :shrug They hear it then it goes through the step by step process before there is comprehension. That's one reason it's helpful to give them *time* to accomadate and comply and why many children look confused when told they didn't obey.

hey mommy
09-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Well, as it turns out, he started complaining last night that his left ear was still feeling funny, he could hear himself in it and it's making "a funny buz buz sound". I'm guessing it's still infected. :( He had a dr. appt. y'day but they had to reschedule it until Fri. So I'm putting drops in it again and we'll see what happens...

Tami
09-05-2007, 09:07 AM
my dd had similar problems til she had tubes put in...she never complained about pain, pressure or not being able to hear... i suspected that she wasnt ignoring me, so we had her hearing tested & ears looked at. It was pretty gnarly in there, from what the ENT said. Right after her surgery, she became a brand new person!!
I hope your sweet boy feels better soon, and that you get it figured out :hug2

hey mommy
09-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Oh, he's had swimmers ear for the past couple of weeks.. He hasn't had an inner ear infection in 2+ years. :ptl
We avoided tubes by going to the chiro and taking away dairy.

milkmommy
09-05-2007, 09:14 AM
:hugheart hope it doesn't turn bad again..

Deanna

hey mommy
09-05-2007, 09:28 AM
:hugheart hope it doesn't turn bad again..

Deanna

I hope it's not an innner ear infection.. Our stinking insurance quit paying for his chiro visits b/c it was 'experimental" due to his age.. I have a letter for them I just need to get it finished and mailed off... Maybe I'll do that this week(or next. this week is packed).

Tami
09-05-2007, 09:29 AM
i'm glad you got it figured out! :phew