PDA

View Full Version : Stalling tactics at bedtime

illinoismommy
09-03-2007, 06:45 PM
David pulls out every stalling tactic in the book at bedtime. Tonight I set a timer and said if we couldn't get ready in time then there wouldn't be stories. The amount of time I set it for still left time for his stalling :rolleyes and I kept saying "hurry! or we wont have time for a story! let's brush teeth!" .... good idea / bad idea?

puah
09-04-2007, 02:05 AM
i don't know what the 'official' stance on this is, but we often use a timer for things like bedtime, dawdling at the end of meal, getting ready for school, and i think it can be a good non-punitive way for the parents and kids invovled. we set the timer for a generous amount of time for whatever needs to happen during that time and the kids know that when the time is up, it's up and into bed they go or whatever. imo that way it's up to them how they spend it, and if they want to spend their reading time hemming and hawing over pjs, fine. it has reduced the meltdowns here and has taught our kids the value of having time to spend.

klpmommy
09-04-2007, 04:37 AM
For me since books are part of the bedtime routine I don't like to take them out of the picture totally. However what we do is both kids get to pick one or two books at bedtime but if they are stalling too much & messing around then *I* pick the book we read (only one). That is tragic enough for them to take me seriously w/o messing with our bedtime too much. But we do use a timer a lot at bedtime & I don't see what you are doing as being punitive at all- it is a logical consequence that if he takes too long to do his other stuff he runs out of time for books. It may take a while for it to sink in with him (sometimes P&E still don't really "get it").

Joanne
09-04-2007, 06:15 AM
It's fine. It's related, respectful and reasonable for his age.

Novella
09-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Joshua's stalling involves multiple potty trips and water. So, what do I do? I bring his potty to the bedroom with us and have a drink ready. :shifty He has slowed the potty request and drink request down considerably now ;)