PDA

View Full Version : Teaching/ Enforcing "shh" ?

Amythestmama
09-03-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm at al loss here. With dd I began telling her 'shh' at a very early age- maybe 3-4months and gently patting her mouth when I said it. She 'got it' very quickly w/o any punishment. (Keep in mind that I had not heard about GBD until she was a year old and spanking, thumping, etc were the norm.) Anyhow, ds was born when she was 14months old. I didn't tell him 'shh' at all b/c it seemed so pointless to tell and infant 'shh' when they obviously were in need of something. :scratch Now, he's 13 months old. When I say 'shh' and pat his mouth, he's quiet for a minute and then makes the same noise over and over. If I take my hand away, he will put it back on his mouth and make the noises. :hunh It's like he thinks it's a game. So any advice on teaching him that I am serious when I say it and that it's not a game of making noises through my hand? Or is it really possible? After a time at church, he sees/hears that nobody else is talking loudly so he doesn't either except of course when he sees a kitty in his books -then "Its a kitty!" comes out very loudly. When we go into the nursery, there are other children talking and making some noise so then he's right back at the loud level again. :/

milkmommy
09-03-2007, 04:21 PM
:shrug hes in a big preverbal stage making noises is all part of the process he need s to go through to learn speech. Other than modeling proper volume with your voice I'm no sure you can enforce on demand silience in a 13 month old.

Deanna

ArmsOfLove
09-05-2007, 08:04 AM
at 13 months they don't understand and there is nothing to enforce :shrug Quiet is why a lot of people shove binkies into their mouths. At that age I stand with them in a sling and walk around going shhh shhh shhh softly to soothe them but the walking/slinging stimulates them.

and everything at this age IS a game. You can either play and move into guiding it when needed or fight for years ;)