PDA

View Full Version : helping spirited dd learn to keep her hands to herself

made4more
08-31-2007, 07:45 AM
My dd gets bursts of energy and takes it upon herself to make sure everyone knows it! :giggle she will almost attack someone else with a "tickle" type motion, and it's rough, and they fall down. well us parent's dont fall down, but her siblings do. what can I do to help her remember to focus her energy somewhere else? I guess I could tell her to hit a couch/bed, but it's usually w hen she is with others, and her first instinct seems to be "attack!" she's not being mean, just excited.

Marsha
08-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Read Out of Sync child and the companion out of sync child has fun for ideas.
My dd does the SAME thing only her thing is squeezing and pulling other people, and she is a sensory seeker in the area of joint compression.
I try to redirect her to her squishy (microbead) pillows and her micro bead beanbag, and trampoline or couch jumping.
We start OT next week, so I am hoping to get more ideas.

Oh and I am rereading (or getting ready to) the out of sync child has fun and if I come across some good ideas, I'll pass them on.

made4more
08-31-2007, 08:09 AM
cool, thanks!

allisonintx
08-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Yea, I was coming in to say, "Provide her with LOTS of gross motor outlets, like a mini tramp or a beanbag type thing" Also, when she isn't acting like that, reach out to her and touch her in all the ways she loves, to help her need for touching be satisfied appropriately.

Marsha
08-31-2007, 08:17 AM
AFA the appropriate touching: my dd must be the aggressor. I have tried doing the burrito thing, and wrestling with her myself and it backfires. She panics, and it doesn't help anything.

She must be in control of the touching, but she ACTS as if she is out of control. It makes playdates (even at 5) stressful for me since once she gets started, she is almost impossible to stop without a full out meltdown/tantrum.

allisonintx
08-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Can Ainslee be charged to brush hair or to massage feet to learn how to act out her touching appropriately?

Marsha
08-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Can Ainslee be charged to brush hair or to massage feet to learn how to act out her touching appropriately?

I don't know, she does massage me with a massager thing for a second or two. I asked her to put lotion on me one day and with her weak hand muscles, it was less than successful.
I keep trying different things. Its' nervewracking on a bad day...........and today was one. It's like ADHD and Asperger's )poor boundaries) all in one.