PDA

View Full Version : Pottying needs as a young terror attack

milkmommy
08-30-2007, 10:59 PM
When DD first learned to potty she'dsay I have water comming or I need t omake water and we'd drop everything and hurry her to the bathrooms and rejoice...... She is now 100% potty trained both day and night (night wetness maybe 2 times a month) and to an age appropiate degree can now hold it.. Shes also graduated from saying water to pee pee :giggle However if say were in Church or in a restraunt and shs just wants to get up sh'll start the I need to go pee pee rountinue .. We take her she does it again and even though its clear its now a game she gets louder and louder and becomes a real distraction. How do I deal with her just saying this to get out. Oh and when just taking a wlak or such really isn't okay..

Deanna

Marsha
08-31-2007, 06:05 AM
Well, mine is five. But I recently gave her permission to go during Church by herself to the water fountain. You'd be surprised at how thirsty she gets in 30 minutes LOL. So that has helped that issue.
When she is asking to go pee every 10 minutes in a restaurrant, usually she really has to poop and isn't ready or her body ins't ready or whatever.
I get frustrated sometimes too and we try to trade who takes her, but sometimes you can get conflicting signals from your body, right?
I just take her. No point in arguing about it.

blessedwithboys
08-31-2007, 06:09 AM
Does she understand the concept of waiting a few minutes for other things? We worked on that concept first, and now we can tell ds to wait a few minutes for the potty. He hasn't had an accident yet, even when it's been a true need to go (though he doesn't wait for the last minute to tell us). I can usually tell anyway when it's a ploy to get up from a table and go sight seeing while we're out to eat. When we do get up for the potty at a restaurant we take the long way and walk first to get his little body ready to go.

I also often give him something concrete (we will go to the potty when we get to L's house in just a few minutes./we will go potty after we pay for the groceries. We'll get some bananas on the way) so that he has a way of knowing when "a few minutes" is. It's worked for us.

milkmommy
08-31-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm not talking the NEED to potty multile times I know that can happen and I always take her when she needs it and when its for real and we do have to wait a bit she understands and does her best to wait..
I'm refering to her just not wanting to say sit in Church anymore or wait at the reastraunt etc so to (for lack of better words) Get her way shestarts this loud unrenlentlng get everyone staring and causing major distraction I have to go pe pee dance and shout rountinue. Its really ovious when its turned from needing to go playing.

Deanna

Marsha
08-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Honestly I wouild look at it as a need to get up for awhile. And we would go walk around the restraunt, or at church go to the bathroom.
Shrug. That's how my dd was at four. I think she's much better at 5, but she still gets antsy especially when she's tired, or all attention isn't focused on her.

milkmommy
08-31-2007, 09:52 AM
We can't always getting up to walk around church is a disaster she has things to play with ect. IF we walk around thats it minus will go home she will do it again and again. SHEs able to stay during Mass :shrug Same with at the restraunts shes is capable of sitting :shrug. Now I have no issues with walking her but I have huge isues with her doing the "manuplitive" I have to pee pee act. Yet I do need to keep in mind others trying to pay attention while shes screaming......

Deanna

kazoo
08-31-2007, 09:02 PM
Are there any quiet activities she can do in the pew? Coloring or something? Maybe a special set of glitter markers or whatever that she only gets to use at church?

milkmommy
08-31-2007, 09:11 PM
[quote]Are there any quiet activities she can do in the pew? Coloring or something? Maybe a special set of glitter markers or whatever that she only gets to use at church?[quote=kazoo ]
Yes and she has stuff plenty of things shes fine.. that is not the problem its that shes suddenly decide she want s to leave some place Church and restraunt the store whatever and start this I have to go pee pee rountinue its a ttally diffrent response than when she really needs to go and its after wever taken her and its clean shes now playing.

Deanna

OpalsMom
09-03-2007, 09:48 AM
What works for us probably wouldn't work for you; DH takes her. DD finds this much less amusing, so she's still perfectly happy to go if she needs to, but she doesn't ask if she doesn't need to. Anything that makes the potty less interesting than the alternative would do.