PDA

View Full Version : Problems at 'school'.. :help

dukeofhazzard
08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Hi girls! I haven't been on GCM much lately, everything has been crazy at my house with school starting and whatnot -- we homeschool, so it's like, REALLY crazy right now ;)

Anyway, we're part of a homeschool co op that meets every other week for 3 hours (doesn't sound like much time, but TRUST ME :rolleyes4!!). S, my 4 yo is having problems in his class right now. The first week, he wasn't "participating" in something (couldn't get many details out of em), and he was taken out of the classroom for the rest of the one hour period (he stayed in another classroom with a mom and one of her kids -- he played, wasn't upset at all), this was AFTER a time out and a "talking to", which I was pretty upset about, I mean, come get me!! I was subbing in another class but they could have come and gotten me.

Then the next week, the same teacher that did that pulled me aside after class and asked me if S had ever been diagnosed with ADD! I was like :hunh?!? He's my most focused child! My difficulty is getting him to STOP one activity to move on to another ;). I called the other teacher (there are two teachers for every one hour period) and asked what she thought and her response was that his behavior wasn't "ADD"ish at all, and that he seemed no different than any other 4 y/o, but that she was a laid back mom, so she didn't really sweat the small stuff ( I really think I like this lady ;)). I was feeling better after that, but then decided that I'd like input from the teachers of the other two periods to make sure everything was ok, because S has been telling me (like EVERY DAY) that he doesn't want to go to co op anymore :cry.

So I got an email back from two of the teachers, and they were almost identical. S doesn't listen well, he doesn't like to do what the group is doing, he "expects them to cater to him" , but they are "willing to work with him" and if he can "get him to obey" things will be fine. (for reference, the phrases in quotes are taken straight out of the emails).

This group is VERY punitive, but it hasn't really been an issue until this semester. Is there something *I* can do at home to help him be more cooperative? He's never done well in large groups, he's always the kid playing by himself -- and he's always happy with that.

I've considered quitting (I'm pretty certain we won't be signing up for another semester as A, my 5 y/o doesn't like it very much either), but I volunteered to be a lead teacher and they'd have to get one of the other mom's to take my place if I quit, I don't want to be dishonorable, you know? And what would I give as my reason? My kids are miserable?

HELP!

(If this would be more appropriate in another folder, please feel free to move it, I wasn't sure exactly where to put it, sorry :))

Teribear
08-30-2007, 11:10 AM
I would absolutely quit. I can tell you that a difference in discipline philosophy can make co-op a miserable experience for everyone involved. In my opinion if co-op isn't fun for my child then I have no reason to be there. I won't 'live up to my commitment' at the cost of my child being unhappy. Currently I teach in a paid position at a part-time classical school but even at that if my DD were truly unhappy I'd be making arrangements for her to stay at Grandma's or homeschool for the 4 hours I work with a friend instead of taking her and that's where I'm being PAID and paid well to be there. No way would I inconvenience myself for a volunteer "job" where my kids weren't happy. :shrug

dukeofhazzard
08-30-2007, 07:12 PM
That REALLY makes me feel better about how I'm feeling! That's exactly how I feel! It's just that the people IRL are all making me feel guilty for not following through with my commitment.

Joanne
09-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Quit. It's not a setting that matches your family's tone, dynamic and personality.

allisonintx
09-03-2007, 08:46 AM
This situation isn't even remotely perfect for your family. Quit. It will save you all heartache and wasted hours.

ShangriLewis
09-03-2007, 10:42 AM
I say quit, too. Your children will probably become more miserable and they probably sense that punative mindset.

loveberry
09-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Quit, or find a way to finish teaching with your children in the room with you.

:hug

J3K
09-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Another vote for quit. You aren't being dishonest at all.

Do you need us to help with words to say ?

ArmsOfLove
09-03-2007, 06:57 PM
ummmm he's FOUR! That's what four year olds do--that's why they aren't in Kindergarten yet ;)

gentle_answer
09-03-2007, 07:20 PM
:nak2
my 7 yo doesn't do group activities.

The problem isn't the child, it's the situation.

Don't feel bad about quitting.

phathui5
09-04-2007, 02:32 AM
And what would I give as my reason? My kids are miserable?

Sounds like a good reason to me.

dukeofhazzard
09-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Hi! Thank you all so much for your responses! I feel so good knowing I'm not just being overprotective.

I'm taking the chicken way out this week and calling in "sick" to give myself a couple of more weeks to plan ;). I did find out that alot of these women have held their boys back so some of the kids in DS's class are as much as a year older :hunh. So, I've transferred him to the 3 y/o class for now (since he's only been 4 for a little over a month) -- the focus in that class is play -- which IMHO should be the focus of the 4 y/o class too. I mean really, they are expecting these kids to sit through lessons!

I'm considering going to the class that's in two weeks and seeing how he does in the 3 y/o class ( he didn't have any problems there last year). After the class in two weeks there will only be 3 left -- if I quit at that point it will be no biggie and we've only gone to one more class... if he likes it and has fun, we could go to the last 3 classes and not sign up for next semester (definitely not going back).

On a related note, I'd love to find a more laid back homeschool co op group in DFW, but I'm coming up with nothing!! Any suggestions ;) ?

allisonintx
09-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Where in DFW are you willing to go?

Desert Rose
09-04-2007, 08:32 AM
ummmm he's FOUR! That's what four year olds do--that's why they aren't in Kindergarten yet ;)

As a mother of a 4yo...yep....ITA!

dukeofhazzard
09-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Where in DFW are you willing to go?

Hmmm... well, lol, I don't want to spell out right here exactly where I am... would you PM me with group info?

Titus2Momof4
09-05-2007, 06:36 AM
And what would I give as my reason? My kids are miserable?

Sounds good enough to me :shrug

Apparently, your son is a "problem" (according to them) for them, anyway, so you could use that as a reason too, if you felt that it'd be better taken. But really, if your son is causing a "problem" for them, then the solution is to remove him, right? And if that ALSO happens to mean they would need to find another lead teacher, well, then :shrug that is what they will need to do. You didn't mean for this to happen (though you aren't exactly crying over it :giggle) but you and your son are a "package deal", so if he needs to leave, then you do too. Nothing wrong with that. :)