PDA

View Full Version : Okay, how do I deal w/this??

hey mommy
08-30-2007, 10:34 AM
I'll admit I haven't been the most patient person the past few months. I've been sick and/or injured this entire year and it's wearing me down.. I'm exhausted and not at my best most of the time. The broken elbow is improving, but the ear infection is leaving me in pain and dizzy. He's pretty much over his swimmers ear. And I haven't been the most gentle in regards to C's feelings(telling him to 'deal w/it' when he's crying over something for example).. :cry I'm just frustrated w/the constant drama from him.

So, if I tell C to do something in a not-so-gentle voice(even just the firm mom voice) he throws himself on the ground and cries "I thought you loved me!!!!" in a very dramatic way. I tell him that I do love him more than anything in the whole word and no matter what I say or do, or what he says or does, I will never stop loving him. He'll then say "okay" and we'll hug and be okay..

My question is: Why is he doing this? Is this a normal 'test' for him to make sure mommy means it? This has been going on for about a week or two and before that we were talking about how mommies and daddies love their kids no matter what and how we love C no matter and no matter what he says/does or what we say/do, we will always, always love him.

So, am I handling that okay? Is there something else I could be doing?

mamaKristin
08-30-2007, 12:53 PM
My 5 year old is doing something similar. He gets really self defeating and upset.

Example:
me - "Busy, mini golf is for outside play. We can go outside after snack time"
busy - "waaa. That's it, no mini golf *ever*. I'm done, no mini golf for me" (pout, pout)

I think it's somewhat common, to be very dramatic at this age...at least I hope it is. ;) It is tiring to handle some days, and some days I have a shorter fuse for it. I think it can also be tied to school starting - I know for my little guy, there are new rules, new people in charge, and new expectation, and that can be very hard to process sometimes.

hey mommy
08-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah, maybe its' the age.. It's just gotten more dramatic w/school starting...

Before school he would throw himself down and say "that's it! I'm done!!!"... umm, don't ask where he got that phrase... :shifty
But it sounds so cute when he says it. :lol

mamaKristin
08-30-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm currently reading "How to talk so your kids will listen, and listen so kids will talk", and I'm finding it's really helping me find some tools for dealing with the "big dramas". And there are many of them between my older two kids. Many. I've got it on loan from the library, but I may have to pick myself up a copy....

Marsha
08-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Oh the drama! Yes, I know.
I know you don't feel good either and that is so hard.
But he did just start school and I bet it will take him at least 3 weeks to get that all processed,etc. You know?
Also, on the "you don't love me" i read (and I agree) that it is best to ignore and repeat what was said to do, and start the making it happen.
I found the whole "oh but I do love you, more than anything" to just egg on the drama.
Now, that might mean he/she needs more attention and love NOT in that moment, but in that moment, I got to whre I ignored it and just matter of factly got on with business.
And I think that suggestion might have come from the above mentioned book.