PDA

View Full Version : What soap?

geegee
08-29-2007, 09:07 AM
My children have very sensitive skin.Iam looking for a gentle soap that they could use for shampoo and everything and if it were reasonably priced that would be good too.Thanks for the help :heart

inesperada
08-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Have you tried using Castille soap, like Dr. Bronner's? California Baby has a sensitive skin wash that is good, too.

AmyDoll
08-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Make sure you cut the castille soap - it can be really drying. You can add a bit of almond or olive oil to it if you find it to be drying.

I like the Weleda Calendula soap. It's what I use on Nicholas. How old are your children? You don't *really* need to use soap on them - just water on bodies and maybe a little Dove for Sensitive Skin on their dirty feet.

righteous mama
08-29-2007, 10:04 AM
We use Shaklee's baby stuff (but, of course! :giggle ). B has VERY sensitive skin and it is literally one of the only products we can use. We have also used a few things from Whole Foods, but they seem to run out so fast. The Shaklee baby stuff smells very light and clean, washes very clean, and it very gentle. http://www.shaklee.net/ecohome/product/BabyCare

The packaging is lame and the name is silly and makes people sing the theme song to a very cheesey old TV show...but I'm really hoping that they change that 'cause the product inside rocks.

geegee
08-29-2007, 10:37 AM
My childrens ages range from 11 to 4.Their skin seems to dry out really fast.Which of these soaps could be used for shampoo too?

inesperada
08-29-2007, 10:43 AM
The California Baby is hair/bodywash:

http://www.californiababy.com/super-sensitive-shampoo-bodywash-8-5-oz.html

Rose
08-29-2007, 10:46 AM
:shifty shameless plug- Lancaster Soap Company... :tu Their website hasn't been updated and isn't looking so hot right now but the products are great and they might have something for you. You can send them an email through the website. :yes I know my whole family uses LSC products and my dad washes his hair with the soap... :shrug :rockon

hope you find something good either way! :rockon

righteous mama
08-29-2007, 12:24 PM
I use the Shaklee "soap" for hair and body. I also put lotion on them afterward, 'cause they love their after-bath massage.

me
08-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Have you tried using Castille soap, like Dr. Bronner's? California Baby has a sensitive skin wash that is good, too.
:rockon We get eczema from dyes, perfumes, nut oils, corn based things,you name it. I wouldnt trade our bronners baby for anything. Huge bottle that lasts forever is only around $5. I put a tiny amount on my hand and lather it up then put it on the kids' hair and body. We use to have really dry skin and scalp but not anymore. I havent had to dilute the soap :shrug Longer or thicker hair does have a transition with it since the scalp has to get use to not overproducing oils to protect it from chemicals.

mommylove
08-29-2007, 01:12 PM
:rockon We get eczema from dyes, perfumes, nut oils, corn based things,you name it. I wouldnt trade our bronners baby for anything. Huge bottle that lasts forever is only around $5. I put a tiny amount on my hand and lather it up then put it on the kids' hair and body. We use to have really dry skin and scalp but not anymore. I havent had to dilute the soap :shrug Longer or thicker hair does have a transition with it since the scalp has to get use to not overproducing oils to protect it from chemicals.

We love our Dr. Bronners, too! I put mine in the Pampered Chef suds pump & it lasts forever. The bottle says it can also be used to brush the teeth (which I tried -- tastes bad.) But I like the fact that I don't have to worry if DS gets some in his mouth. Not that he puts everything in his mouth or anything. :shifty

geegee
08-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Dont you have trouble buying Dr.brommers because of their strang spiritual beliefs?

me
08-30-2007, 06:25 AM
:scratch Why would I? They aren't any different from anyone else who doesnt have the same beliefs as me. If I can buy something I need from someone who I would prefer to support and show my backing I will but I don't strictly buy christian only :lol or do without things I need for our health because no one else sells it :sillygrin that would be like not using my asthma/allergy medicine because the same company makes some vaccine for children that I dont agree with.
Merk, bronners, johnson and johnson, they're all the same to me. :shifty I buy everyones stuff unless its harmful or I have a better alternative. :heart

Soliloquy
08-30-2007, 07:00 AM
We use Avalon Organic shampoo for everything.

for hand soap I dilute natural dish detergent--2/3 dish detergent, 1/3 water. Seventh Generation Free & Clear is a good one if you're sensitive. I like Earth Friendly Products because of all the choices for fragrance (essential oils, not synthetic :tu)

me
09-13-2007, 04:31 PM
I did find a good alternative to body soap instead of bronners baby. Kirk's original castille, its made from coconut soap, water, coconut oil, vegetable glycerin, natural fragrance. We've been using this now instead, it feels great. And for our hair we use baking soda to clean and California Baby Conditioner to detangle. I was using vinegar because I couldnt find anything better till now.
And for clothes soap I use Nellie's natural soda. All which are pretty inexpensive and extremely gentle.
I did say earlier I didnt mind using Bronners unless there was a better alternative. I think I have found mine  :O

geegee
09-13-2007, 07:09 PM
I did buy a gal of brommers baby.I havent tried it yet but Im hopeing we wont get any sort of skin rashes etc.it has been a long time since we could all use the same thing. :)

me
09-14-2007, 09:08 AM
I would be :jawdrop if bronners baby gave anyone a rash. My kids have pretty bad allergies/eczema flares due to nickel/latex/artificial colors/corn/legume/nut allergies, all of which are found in just about every kind of soap. But for some reason they can do coconut, olive, and jajoba oils.
Im curious now to see how you guys do with the soap :yes Let us know how it goes............

geegee
09-14-2007, 12:30 PM
okey dokey :heart