PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry I didn't mean too

milkmommy
08-27-2007, 01:46 PM
DD has started telling me this over every tiny incident. Honey your shoes are on the rong feet switch them.. I'm sorry I didn't mean to.. Or Cecilia eat XY at the table no on the couch.. I'm sorry I didn't mean to.. on and on and 99% are just those little everyday things not even "discipline" issues. Now I don't mind applogies when they are appropiate and I'll even help her say the words (or do it for her) when appropiate even if shes not totally ready. However this appogizing for every little thing has be going batty. I don't know where she got it from or how to handle it if at all??

Deanna

OpalsMom
08-27-2007, 03:37 PM
:popcorn

DD actually uses "It's all my fault" when it really is nobody's fault, or doesn't matter at all (she doesn't sound particularly upset or anything, which would really worry me). She uses "I'm sorry I didn't mean to" mostly when she's not very sorry and she did mean to, but she's over it now and would like to move on. Aargh! (Oh, and if she really *ought* to apologize? Then your chances are 50/50.)

Rabbit
08-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Samantha says, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." When she didn't do anything to scare anybody, but is apologizing for something else. I think they get stuck with certain phrases.

celestial princess
08-28-2007, 12:17 PM
DS is doing this, too. I just say, "Honey, you don't have to apologize for that. You didn't do anything wrong." It doesn't seem to be having any effect. :shrug Maybe they're working out boundaries or wht kinds of things are a big deal and what are not.

Marsha
08-28-2007, 12:51 PM
I remember that stage! I felt bad like I had created it, but like many other things, it disappeared.