PDA

View Full Version : Made the kids my version of vegan comfort food tonight

Mandie
08-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Baked vegan boca burgers with bbq sauce, garlic mashed potatoes with Earth Balance and Tofutti better than cream cheese, and green beans made with Bragg's and onion powder. It reminded me soooo much of the meals we used to have growing up.

A few nights ago, I did breaded baked tofu ( sort of my spin on KFC), corn on the cob, biscuits, and mashed potatoes and apple crisp. I'm on a comfort food kick, lol. :grin

And people wonder how a vegan can be fat, lol.

Zipporah
08-27-2007, 02:05 AM
:yum :yum :yum

french fries/chips are vegan... ;)

greenjellysnakes
08-27-2007, 02:14 AM
Garlic mashed potatoes and chips... two of my biggest weaknesses!

tree_hugger
08-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Mandie, will you come and be my mum? :yum :giggle

I would love the breaded tofu recipe. :yes

Mandie
08-27-2007, 04:19 AM
Mandie, will you come and be my mum? :yum :giggle

I would love the breaded tofu recipe. :yes

Lol, it was sort of an experiment :shifty but I think it turned out pretty good :). I sliced marinated tofu into slabs, and breaded it with a mix of Country-style Miracle Maize cornbread mix, a little flour and pulled a random recipe for the "11 herbs and spices" from the internet. I used sea salt and white pepper in place of black just because it's milder and I can get away with it better with my kids. I oiled a cookie sheet and baked it until it was crunchy and golden on both sides. I don't measure anything... hope this helped. A lot of the things I make start as "ideas" and I just kind of experiment until it seems right, lol.

Garlic mashed potatoes and chips... two of my biggest weaknesses!

Mashed potatoes are my all-time favorite food. :yum

:yum :yum :yum

french fries/chips are vegan... ;)

Yup. I could eat an entire bowl of tortilla chips and salsa :P~
I'm getting hungry...
I think I'm gonna go eat a healthy breakfast before I break out the leftovers... lol.

Zipporah
08-28-2007, 06:16 AM
I think I'm gonna go eat a healthy breakfast before I break out the leftovers... lol.

Welcome to my world. I'm a bit like a hobbit at the moment(without the furry feet ;))-and it's all downhill from first breakfast...
I'm blaming the baby.

greenjellysnakes
08-28-2007, 05:39 PM

Welcome to my world. I'm a bit like a hobbit at the moment(without the furry feet ;))-and it's all downhill from first breakfast...
I'm blaming the baby.

:giggle Second breakfast is my favourite meal of the day!

Zipporah
08-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Lol, it was sort of an experiment :shifty but I think it turned out pretty good :). I sliced marinated tofu into slabs, and breaded it with a mix of Country-style Miracle Maize cornbread mix, a little flour and pulled a random recipe for the "11 herbs and spices" from the internet. I used sea salt and white pepper in place of black just because it's milder and I can get away with it better with my kids. I oiled a cookie sheet and baked it until it was crunchy and golden on both sides. I don't measure anything... hope this helped. A lot of the things I make start as "ideas" and I just kind of experiment until it seems right, lol.

I don't think it's possible to get cornbread mix here so I just used breadcrumbs, but man, that is some tasty tofu. :yum :yum :yum

Mandie
09-01-2007, 06:24 AM
:yes
When I was a kid, I used to look at vegetarian cuisine and think- ugh! tofu!! But it's one of my favorite things now. My kids would eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I made it for them. :sillygrin