PDA

View Full Version : Toddler + Baby = How do you ever get your errands done??

Taedareth
08-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I've got a 20 mo and I find it pretty manageable to put him in a wrap or mei tai so we can go out and run our errands. There's no way I could use a stroller with him - he would just unbuckle himself and run away :lol

So for those mamas who have a toddler AND a baby... how do you do it?!??

SouthPaw
08-22-2007, 01:19 PM
:mrs :giggle

Beauty4Ashes
08-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Hmm, well, when Danny was a baby, I would put him in the snugli and Bashar would sit in the shopping cart and I could do grocery shopping that way. Or I would put both in a double stroller and walk to whereever I wanted to go and then I could hang bags on the handle bars of the stroller. When the double stroller was too cumbersome and Bashar was around 18 months, I would put Danny in an umbrella stroller and Bashar and I would push the umbrella stroller. HTH.

MarynMunchkins
08-22-2007, 01:36 PM
You could always sling both - one on front and one on back. ;)

I generally keep the youngest in a sling, and chase the other one. :)

Eowyn
08-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I got a double stroller. The bad back prevents baby wearing for long periods of time, and the older child in my case was incredibly fast. Now, Ian walks, Henry rides, and Ollie's in a mei tai.

Mother of Sons
08-22-2007, 02:10 PM
I always slung the new one and let the other walk or be in a stroller but if he will get out of the stroller, I would sling him for now and put the baby in the stroller. You could put baby on front, toddler on back if your back can handle it and you can handle the stares lol.

mellymommy
08-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Don't run LONG errands. Most toddlers can be entertained for 20-30 min., but anything longer than that is too much for them. So, all shopping trips were kept short and little snacks to distract him were always on hand in my purse or we'd open up a box of Annie's choco-bunnies for him to munch in the cart. Sometimes a trip to the park BEFORE running errands helped get rid of my kinetic boy's energy so that he was a bit worn-down for the shopping expedition. I also did NOT do more than 3 errands without some sort of break for him--park, lunch, seeing a friend/family, etc.

The worst is when it is raining and you have to get both out of the car and into the store from the FAR back row at the grocery store...and then back again with a cart full of groceries!

AmyDoll
08-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Baby in Ergo - Older in a stroller with a 5pt harness & a lollipop :shifty
Now that Nicholas is 1 and Sam is 3.5 - Baby in Ergo, Sam with a task.

Marielle
08-22-2007, 03:18 PM
the youngest in a sling and the other holding my hand. When the oldest was younger and more prone to running off he wore the monkey harness. I don't care about the snide remarks or looks. ;)

Beauty4Ashes
08-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Yes, snacks are definitely a must. And if possible, keep all errands on the same street. For example, the other day I did the Chinese grocery store, the library, dropped the laundry at the laundromat to be dried, and the Arabic food store, they're all on the same route.

greenjellysnakes
08-23-2007, 04:07 AM

How? I'd love to master this, but I haven't figured out back carries yet.

MarynMunchkins
08-23-2007, 05:09 AM
Oh, back carries are my solution to everything. My avi pic is Lilly at 5 weeks. :giggle

It's not too hard once they get used to being on your back because they lie there while you tie around them. I'd have someone else keep a hand behind you while you practice the first few times. :)

celestial princess
08-24-2007, 08:24 PM
I always slung the new one and let the other walk or be in a stroller but if he will get out of the stroller, I would sling him for now and put the baby in the stroller. You could put baby on front, toddler on back if your back can handle it and you can handle the stares lol.

:yes

I did that to get through an airport by myself, while pushing a convertible carseat in the umbrella stroller. Needless to say, I felt like Wonder Woman (the super hero, not Rebecca :giggle) when I was through!

tree_hugger
08-25-2007, 02:11 AM

Do you have a MT? I've found this to be one of the easiest ways to do back carries - would be easy for your with your HAB, too. Just be prepared for people to fall over themselves staring at you when you are out. :giggle

I have a MT you can borrow, and I can show you how to do a back carry if you like. :heart

greenjellysnakes
08-25-2007, 02:21 AM

Do you have a MT? I've found this to be one of the easiest ways to do back carries - would be easy for your with your HAB, too. Just be prepared for people to fall over themselves staring at you when you are out. :giggle

I have a MT you can borrow, and I can show you how to do a back carry if you like. :heart

Yes please! I was thinking of investing in a MT, but hadn't done so yet, and now I really, really need one! So if I could try yours out, that would be awesome, thanks :rockon

mellymommy
08-25-2007, 05:30 AM
MT or ABCs are REALLY easy to make. I made my first two this week and will make many, many more in the future for friends with new babies. AND it only cost me $5 in fabric and about 2 hours in time!!