PDA

View Full Version : Is this a "normal" response to hunger in nearly 5 y/o

klpmommy
08-21-2007, 02:41 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this. It probably isn't a discipline issue, but I didn't think it fit in LE or Allergies (but I could be wrong ;) ). So move where ever it is best.

When P gets hungry if we are not on top of it & very proactive he starts to misbehave. Not in the rage-y aggressive way he does when he has food dye, but in a mischevious sort of out of control way. If we miss his pre-hunger cues (and if I am not paying attention to the time to make sure he is on schedule for his meals) he will refuse to eat as well & I have to "force" some food in him (sometimes that "). Once he eats he settles down behavior-wise so I know it is related to hunger. But is this "normal" or an indicator of other potential problems? E is not like this at all (misbehaving due to hunger). I know how to prevent the problem (watch the time better), I know how to fix the problem (feed him), but I wasn't sure if it was something to be concerned about or not. Oh- this is not just at bedtime, it is all day long if I miss a snack or meal time (pretty predictable when I am on the ball).

Joanne
08-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Yes, I'd say it's completely within normal reaction.

MarynMunchkins
08-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Sounds normal to me. :)

Marsha
08-21-2007, 04:04 PM
It's normal here. It can manifest as silly, or pesty, or whiny, and I try not to allo too much hunger for obvious reasons!!

klpmommy
08-21-2007, 04:23 PM
:phew I haven't been as on the ball about watching the clock lately (partly GCM, mostly just tired & pregnant, or maybe vice versa) so I have really noticed it. Thanks!

4monkeysmama
08-22-2007, 11:39 AM
It sounds familiar :) I'd say normal. My DH is really sensitive to hunger and gets really cranky when he hasn't eaten. Of course he's old enough to be able to handle it a bit more than my 6 yo.

hey mommy
08-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I get VERY cranky and horrible if I'm hungry.. Maybe that's why I'm so overweight... :scratch C is the same way, but not quite as bad. Everyone in my family knows that if I'm being horrible, just feed me and I'll be fine. LOL.

HomeWithMyBabies
08-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Everyone in my family knows that if I'm being horrible, just feed me and I'll be fine. LOL.

:giggle That's me, too. If I push past my hunger just a bit, I won't feel as hungry anymore but I'll be a nasty person! My four year old is the same way.

NoodleMom
08-22-2007, 01:04 PM
could he be hypoglycemic?
Skooch is and he gets really cranky or wild and goofy if I dont catch on that he is needing to eat a little something before the meal is ready