PDA

View Full Version : DH is NOT supportive

craftymom75
08-20-2007, 12:35 PM
I have gone back and forth with vegetarianism since I was 15. But now that I am older (32)and diabetes and heart disease
runs rampant on both sides of my family, I researched and decided to go vegan. Now I told DH this two weeks ago. I also told him
that I would make him 'regular' food. He threw a minor fit because ," I won't convert him to my crazy hippie/voodoo ways. " (True quote) ( We are so opposite it's scary. But our core beliefs are the same. Go figure. ) Anyway he's not supportive. During the day the kids eat what I eat and when he's home I'm making two different meals or a full meat-meal and two vegan side dishes so that I can eat dinner.
Does anyone else have a non-supportive dh, and how do you handle it?

HuggaBuggaMommy
08-20-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't have a dh, but I live with my parents and do the same thing - make a regular meal with vegan side dishes or two meals. One thing that helped is freezing meal-sized portions of vegan meals to defrost when I don't feel like cooking separate meals.

No other advice, just a :hug2 .

ShangriLewis
08-20-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm sorry, but perhaps after he realizes you are sticking to it and feeling and looking healthier he will change his mind and have a better opinion of it.

Linnis
08-21-2007, 07:49 AM
My DH does not support me. It usually becomes a fight. So I make two seperate meals. If he gives me too much grief I just don't cook his. :shifty

SouthPaw
08-21-2007, 08:16 AM
my dh throws a fit if i do so much as buy wheat bread instead of white. :rolleyes2 it's hard when they are stuck in their ways. :hug

ShangriLewis
08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
:( I'm really sorry ladies. I've had people be really rude to me over it before, but it would hurt so much if my dh treated me that way over food.

krysmh
08-21-2007, 10:31 PM
:hug2

Mine is supportive of me, but will not consider going veggie himself. So I too make two meals sometimes. But he's not rude about it or anything, he's just a meat eater and I'm alright with that... his body does not do well on a strict vegetarian diet.

It's a difficult balance and it stinks cooking extra, but it's worth it for us. I hope you can find a balance in your home too. :hug2

craftymom75
08-24-2007, 05:42 AM
Thanks. I was really feeling alone. I'm hoping with A LOT of prayer and baby steps it will get better.

Zipporah
08-25-2007, 05:57 AM
Dh believes the meat board propaganda and isn't afraid to share his opinion (at the same time as disagreeing with the way animals are raised and slaughtered... :scratch-and he only believes scientific research if it agrees with his POV to start with so there's no point trying to convince him with rational argument :shrug)

I tend to cook one meal and add meat to dh's portion or sometimes do non-meat meal with a meat variation if it's something freezable (like lasagna). The rule is that whoever cooks and writes the shopping list (me ;) ) gets to make the decisions about what's for dinner (on the condition that there's something suitable for everyone)-so everyone eats basically the same thing most of the time.

mommylove
08-30-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm a vegetarian of 28 years; DH was raised on a farm (meat & potatoes boy.) I usually make 2 dinners & it's not a big deal.

I've found that when I decide to try something new I either do it gradually in a way that not noticeable until after the fact, or I do it in a way that doesn't affect him.

Good luck.

kandykidsaturn
08-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Well, when chloes dad and i were living together, i was a veterinarian, and he was not, nor did he even want to TRY any of my food. So, me being myself made him fix his own meals. I told him that i would make meals that were like meat, but if he wanted real meat, he had to make it himself. See, i wasnt doing it only for the health issues, i was also doing it because of animal cruelty.