PDA

View Full Version : Arguing when you say yes..

milkmommy
08-19-2007, 10:06 PM
:shifty how do I deal with this. Some examples
DD: Mommy may I have some rabbit crackers
ME: yes bring to box
DD; DON'T SAY THAT MOMMY!!! YOUR GOING TO MAKE ME CRY!!!

DD: Mommy may I watch TV
ME; Yes what would you like to see
DD: Shhh QUIET YOU CAN"T SAY THAT!!! you need to let me watch TV!!
:scratch SO how do I deal with this. it goes on and on and she works herself into huge crocodile tears and all when I'm saying yes :shrug How do I deal validating seems pointless when I'm telling her yes. :hunh

Deanna

ArmsOfLove
08-19-2007, 10:15 PM
my guess is either some level of ODD or an issue with comprehension and if there is more than "yes" she doesn't understand what you are saying :think What happens if you just say "yes" and then move without words to do it or wait for her to ask the next question. Maybe she needs it in the small steps :think

allisonintx
08-19-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm with Crystal.

milkmommy
08-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Well she was fine with the answers last week this is a recent thing. If I just say yes she keeps repeating the question till I add on something then gets mad. I think part of it is a game. A real she thinks is funny game but then somewhere unknown to me and maybe her the game is no longer fun and she melts down. I have no idea if that make sense :shrug I just have no idea how to deal with it. She is melting down arging with her stuffed animals :hunh

Deanna

allisonintx
08-19-2007, 10:27 PM
What happens if you say, "C. I don't know what to do when I say "yes" to you and then you melt down/get very out of control. What do you think would help when this happens?"

beccafromlalaland
08-19-2007, 10:29 PM
We did that :yes I would stop Cooper and ask him to repeat what I had said to him. If that didn't work I would say "Cooper I just said *yes*" If that didn't work I just go get him what he wanted...sometimes that didn't work, at which point he would be told to go lay down for a little bit and would usually fall asleep

ArmsOfLove
08-19-2007, 10:30 PM
you might also try "C, what do you want me to say?" if you've done scripting with her it's okay to ask her to help you when she is looking for something :)

milkmommy
08-19-2007, 10:30 PM
What happens if you say, "C. I don't know what to do when I say "yes" to you and then you melt down/get very out of control. What do you think would help when this happens?"

I've tried but its pointless I can't get the words in. She just screams louder DOn't SAY THAT!!
BTW its not all the time but I can't figure out a cause...

Deanna

allisonintx
08-19-2007, 10:46 PM
I don't mean right in the moment, I mean later, when she's not in the middle of, or just coming out of a meltdown.

milkmommy
08-19-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't mean right in the moment, I mean later, when she's not in the middle of, or just coming out of a meltdown.

SHe doesn't understand she not arguing them so she doesn't understand questions about when she is. Se just shrugs like mom I'm not arguing why the questions.

Deanna

allisonintx
08-19-2007, 11:16 PM
ok, I understand now...that does make your job quite a bit harder :hug

milkmommy
08-19-2007, 11:22 PM
ok, I understand now...that does make your job quite a bit harder :hug

Yea and its weird there are plenty of times when this is just not an issue then bam its starts shes not tired no obvious stress not obvious diet issues. Its really like shes playing a game then suddely switches out but somehow her body mind feelings aren't in sink, thus the arguments with stuffed animals :shifty. Its a little funny but OYI frustrating at the same time.

Deanna