PDA

View Full Version : Time sensitive question. . . .help?

Chris3jam
08-16-2007, 08:39 AM
The kids have been going stir-crazy. I haven't been letting them play outside because of the heat. Also, they don't play outside on Wed. anyway. So, they are bouncing off the walls. I told them I was *thinking about* taking them swimming today (Thursday), and now they are thinking it's a done deal. Well, I don't know what to do. They need to go swimming (or something) because this is why they are so awful. But, if I take them swimming, they will think it's a reward for acting so badly, right? I have no idea what to do. . . .. :( I don't want to reinforce this awful behaviour. .. . . but they really, really, really need physical activity.

Tanyia
08-16-2007, 08:46 AM
They're acting poorly because they need physical release is how I read what your writing....in that case the pool is not a reward for bad behavior, it's a physical activity that will help get their behavior under control (I think - someone with more experience, please step in and correct me if I'm mistaken!!) I totally know where you're coming from about worrying that it's a reward but I think that without the physical release they're behavior will only continue to downward spiral. Can you get them know before the behavior gets worse and make sure they know what your expectations for their behavior at the pool is. I'd try some simon says activities in the pool, something to really get them physically tired!

WI Mama05
08-16-2007, 08:48 AM
:hugheart :scratch Good one. :popcorn to see what others think.

I gues in order to keep my sanity and allow the kids to burn off that negative steam, I would probably do the swimming thing. It's hard to expect kids to "act good" if they don't have an outlet for their pent up energy and if they haven't played hard for a while, this may be the "ticket" so to speak. But I KWYM about the rewarding bad behavior thing, I struggle with that balance too :think.

me
08-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Depending on childrens ages. Saying you are thinking about taking them somewhere fun is equivalent to someones boss saying they are thinking about giving them a raise :giggle
You know your kids and what is normal for them and what is they are really breaking rules for them. I would say out of fairness, unless the employee is caught stealing or doesnt show up for work they are owed the raise that kind of was but wasnt given to them. Kwim?

MarynMunchkins
08-16-2007, 10:05 AM
A pool isn't a reward. It's a bunch of water designed to keep cool and burn off energy. That's what all of you need.

Go to the pool! :hug Enjoy it! :)

Joanne
08-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Come back and update after you go swimming.

Chris3jam
08-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Come back and update after you go swimming.

:mrgreen How'd you know that's what we would do? ;)

We went. They informed me they were bored several times. . . . . . when I saw them in passing as they were going down the slides and talking to other kids (what kids were there :shifty . . .we homeschool, and ps has already started in this state :giggle). :giggle :giggle

We are still alive (and by "we", I mean "me" :giggle).

klpmommy
08-16-2007, 04:49 PM
I would have taken them for *my* sanity. I have started to have to do this more & more with P- he is driving my bonkers and the real need is that he has to get the big energy out & can't do that inside the house. Then after he gets his big energy out he is more relaxed & mellow & we are all so much happier.

Marsha
08-16-2007, 04:56 PM
This morning, we were on our way to an inflatables place. Both kids love it, and Ainslee needs it because of the pushing/squishing/jumping part of it.
She threw two big fits in the van (my 5 yo!!) and I almost "took away" the fun activiity but I also realized that she NEEDED the activity.
(plus, I was meeting afriend and I really needed that)

But I understand the dilemma.