PDA

View Full Version : Asking other parents to supervise their children

ReedleBeetle
08-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Ok, we have a family situation, but this could occur in a lot of situations. My son bit 2 kids yesterday. I am working on making a plan about that, but the parents involved are highly concerned and want to discuss it with us, which I completely understand. Direct parental supervision is the number one aspect of our plan for our 2 yr old. Here is why I am asking that though. One of the kids tends to do things that lead our son into doing things she/they are not supposed to be diong (like jumping on the bed) and then she tries and gets him in trouble and she won't stay out of his face and wants to get into very rough play and then he tends to get too aggressive. I know that by being present myself, all of this is less likely to happen. I know their kids are not the ones biting. However, I feel like if our kids are playing together, then, do to differences in parenting and in the interest of the children, we need to have one parent there for each "side" or family group of children. Then tehy can handle discipline correction of each thing with their child and we can with ours, immediately, and no one feels they have to parent/discipline/correct the other person's child. We discipline completely differently and this is a pretty big issue. Is it ok, even though my child has been the biter, to request they also be present and supervising the play??

marathonmom
08-15-2007, 11:26 AM
:hug

It's tough when you aren't on the same page in parenting.

Could you find common ground and make some ground rules? Like play gently, jump outside, things like that.

I think it is reasonable and safe to have at least 2 adults at all times with young children. Also, if you are left to
supervise alone, well, I guess I would expect the kids to abide by your guidelines since you are the adult in charge :shrug
So if they are getting too rowdy, you would be able to ask them to tone down their play and redirect them.