PDA

View Full Version : Marinara/ Spaghetti sauce question

Danette
08-13-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm planning on canning some marinara sauce and was looking up a recipe. The recipe says to saute onions and garlic in olive oil ... but someone in a reply to the recipe said that you can't can it if you use olive oil but you could freeze it.... :shrug Anyone know? Or does anyone have a tried and true recipe? I really want to can it... I don't have a big freezer.

BTW... I'm just learning how to can... I made peach butter and burnt it (total bummer) and I canned it anyway this morning to practice my skills... all five jars sealed!! Anyone want some burnt peach butter??... my son says it's not that bad... it just tastes like it's already on toast. :haha

Danette
08-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Kelly... I just saw your recipe in the other thread... and you use olive oil... so that lady doesn't know what she is talking about. :P~

I'm going to go print it now. :yes

kklibrarian
08-13-2007, 09:28 AM
I was just fixing to post that mine has done fine all these years with me using olive oil and canning the marinara. :yes Your son is funny....mine like to make clever critiques of my preserving attempts as well. My favorite so far has been my daughter who informed me that she was glad I liked watermelon rind preserves. That way I could eat all of those jars of them I put up. :P~

Blessings,
Kelly

Wonder Woman
08-13-2007, 09:33 AM
stealing your thread to say "I want to learn how to can and no one will teach me. *pout*"

kklibrarian
08-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Reb,

Canning is the simplest thing in the world. If you can get a hold of a Ball Blue Book of Canning, it gives you step by step instructions for almost everything you'd ever want to put up along with the recipes. If you still want lessons, I'd be happy to teach you, but you'd have to come back down to Louisiana! ;)

Love,
Kelly

Danette
08-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Reb, All these years I thought I needed a special canning pressure cooker... and then my mom told me that I could can in a water bath. I used my husband's shrimp boil pot because it has an insert/drainer you can pull out and it's plenty tall... worked great... my first attempt went well...I just followed the directions on the box of jars I bought and the timings from this site...http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/348-594/348-594.html You should give it a try.... I will help you.. and so will Kelly (I love volunteering people).... what do you want to can?? :mrgreen

Kelly, I need to get a hold of that book. :yes

MarynMunchkins
08-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I dunno about canning, but I freeze marinara with olive oil all the time. :)

Alton Brown has a great recipe on foodnetwork.com. :tu

Danette
08-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Alton Brown has a great recipe on foodnetwork.com ooooooo..... I just pulled one from Giada :giggle... didn't see Alton's, I'll go look. :cool