PDA

View Full Version : Can LO be attached to many people?

CapeTownMommy
08-10-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm trying to frame a thought here, so bear with me.

I work outside the home, standard 8 to 5 desk job (no choice, dh's salary doesn't even cover our grocery bill). LO is cared for by a nanny at home during the day, and she gets along soooooooo well with her nanny. It's really great for me, because I can be at work without worrying if LO is feeling deprived or anything. The nanny is wonderful, and her caring style is very AP. I often come home to find LO on the nanny's back and happy as can be.

What I'm wondering about is: Will LO's attachment to her nanny limit her ability to be attached to me? I know that sounds really selfish and I don't mean it like that, I'm ecstatic that she gets along so well with the nanny. But she's 9 months old now and I start worrying that she'll call the nanny Mommy instead of me, KWIM? I do what I can when I'm with her to make sure our bond stays strong but I don't know if it will be enough. Any thoughts?

Joanne
08-10-2007, 04:19 AM
What I'm wondering about is: Will LO's attachment to her nanny limit her ability to be attached to me?

It's a normal, and understandable fear. :heart :hugheart

Happily, the answer is a huge NO! Her attachment to her nanny is a good thing *and* she can enjoy a great attachment to you.

homesteadmama
08-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I agree with the PP. I remember reading somewhere...Dr. Sears maybe that they can be APed with another caregiver, and that this is a *good* thing. You want her to learn safety, comfort , intimacy, and that her needs will be met. It sounds like all those things are happening through both of you. IMO, I would just be so thankful I had a nanny who was so great!

Elora
08-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Completely agree. It is a wonderful thing and will not "limit" her attachment to you. Just focus on the fact that your LO is happy and loved during the day! You are one lucky mama to have found such a wonderful arrangement.

I grew up with a similar attachment to my granny, and I will tell you firsthand it didn't limit the special bond between my mother and I one bit. We are still best friends to this day. I was just blessed to have more people in my life who loved and cared for me. My ds spends most his waking hours with his daddy. It doesn't limit his attachment to me. We're also very close to my mom and sisters. I am so thankful that he is attached to them as well because I really feel the more love, the better :heart

There's still no one like "mama" though when it comes down to it.

It's really rough having to work and leave her, and many people share your fear because of course you wish you could be the one there with her. Circumstances as they are though, you are blessed to have someone you are confident in and whom your daughter loves.