PDA

View Full Version : Do you expect baby gear to last through more than one child?

Heather R
08-09-2007, 12:36 PM
And does it bother you if it doesn't???

I just got off the phone with Safety 1st. The parent unit on my monitor has quit working. Actually, this is the second time this has happened. When dd1 was a baby, it quit working, and they replaced it under warranty. However, this time, they won't replace it because the warranty period has expired. It bugs me, because it is exactly the same problem (there's something wrong with the power/volume switch). And because I thought a baby monitor would be something I'd only have to buy once. It's not like it gets a lot of "wear and tear". It sits on a shelf!

Anyway, this just got me thinking about the number of things we bought for DD1 that have not held up for DS2. They are 2.5 years apart, and I'd say we take reasonable good care of our stuff...

The handle on our Graco infant carseat quit moving from the "carry" position. However, much to my surprise, Graco replaced the seat at no cost! Kudos to them!

The vibrating mechanism on our bouncy seat has quit working, even with new batteries. Also a Safety 1st product...

Ok... now my mind is going blank, but I know there are other things we've had to replace...

I guess it just bugs me because the assumption is that after baby #1 you don't need the same types of gifts etc, as "you have everything" from #1... but that's only true if it doesn't wear out or break! Grrr...

Anybody else feel the same way?

Heather

Heather Micaela
08-09-2007, 12:38 PM
I obviously *wish* it would last, but often it doesnt. I am fortunate that eith every kid I have been asked what needs replacing. I think the baby shower for the first kid only is a bad use of "ettiquite"

cindergretta
08-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I get irritated, too. I'm really not a fan of safety First. I have never found their products to be of great quality. :shrug

Infant swings and bouncy seats are the very bane of my existance. I have totally given up on them as I have never had one work more than a month! A plain old infant seat is all I have for when I need to stash a baby for a second.

It's enough to make you nuts, though, isn't it?!

:hug2

Elora
08-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Oh no :( I am really disappointed to hear this. I have a lot of stuff I was hoping would last me :shifty

Heather Micaela
08-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Yes, I understand it would be difficult to overhaul the system - my point is not to nitpick the details, but to debate the merits of the system as it stands versus reform.
:yes2

illinoismommy
08-09-2007, 12:46 PM
I totally expect my stuff to last through all my children, if possible :nails

So far the only thing that's broken was the swing that I bought before DS was born at a garage sale and then lent to a friend (who returned it broken :/ ) so I bought a new one this time.

Whisperlily
08-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I've found that things stay in working condition longer if you only have the baby, and not an older child to "help" by contributing to the wear and tear.

For instance, I have a nice brand new portable crib we bought when baby 4 was born, and a sweet little 3 year old happened to find a pair of scissors... and now the brand new, nice pack n play with it's beautiful sturdy netting has a big hole... I've been meaning for the last 18 months or so to use some fishing line to sew it back together, but Aargh!

Same with baby swings, no matter how careful you are, it only takes ONCE for a curious older child to damage the mechanism by leaning on it. :(

So, most of my things made it from baby 1 to baby 2, but by the time baby 3 arrived we had worn out things... and replaced them for baby 4. Which was only slightly frustrating because there will be no baby 5. It was great to see that sweet new baby in new things though.... and I figured if she'd been our only child we would have bought the things for just one child, so I had to look at it the same way.

illinoismommy
08-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I've found that things stay in working condition longer if you only have the baby, and not an older child to "help" by contributing to the wear and tear.

For instance, I have a nice brand new portable crib we bought when baby 4 was born, and a sweet little 3 year old happened to find a pair of scissors... and now the brand new, nice pack n play with it's beautiful sturdy netting has a big hole... I've been meaning for the last 18 months or so to use some fishing line to sew it back together, but Aargh!

Same with baby swings, no matter how careful you are, it only takes ONCE for a curious older child to damage the mechanism by leaning on it. :(

So, most of my things made it from baby 1 to baby 2, but by the time baby 3 arrived we had worn out things... and replaced them for baby 4. Which was only slightly frustrating because there will be no baby 5. It was great to see that sweet new baby in new things though.... and I figured if she'd been our only child we would have bought the things for just one child, so I had to look at it the same way.

That's true, I was relieved when DS went through his "sit in baby's bouncy chair" phase and it held his weight successfully :phew

Oh and our mobile broke when he played with it, but we didn't need that anyway :shrug ... forgot about that

hey mommy
08-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Safety 1st is Dorel. Dorel=junk. So, no.. I wouldn't expect that to hold up. Sorry.. I have very little fath in Dorel stuff.

Other stuff, maybe.. dependng on the brand.. But we haven't had baby gear around for 3-4 years, so I have no idea if any of it held up or not..

klpmommy
08-09-2007, 02:35 PM
All of my stuff lasted through both P&E- bouncey seat, swing, carseats, stroller, mobiles, baby monitors, etc. But they are only 13 m apart so there was very little P influence in breaking stuff. I am hoping that it will last again this time, but I am thinking that some of the stuff that is 5 years old now may now be quite up to snuff any more. We do still use the baby monitor all the time & I am looking to get a new one, but this one still works, I just want one that will do more than one room.

FWIW- I never use the on/off switch or volume switch on my baby monitor. I disconnect the plus from the monitor. Otherwise I always worry that I don't have the volume set "just right".

BHope
08-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I do expect gear to pass down from one child to the next. It's what I'm banking on whenI buy a product. However, I don't expect replacement if the gear is older than a year and in some cases six months. So, while it may disappoint my expectations if something goes kaput, I wouldn't be torn up about not receiving a replacement because I would figure if the item lasted a year to begin with that we probably got our $$ out of the product.

If that made any sense.

And FWIW, most of our items did work great for DD1 and then DD2. Our bouncer frame did break after DD2 was born, but that had more to do with my eldest abusing it than anything inherently wrong with the seat.

We gave all of our stuff away after DD2, so I couldn't say if it would've lasted onto baby three or not. :think

Six Little Feet
08-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Safety 1st is Dorel. Dorel=junk. So, no.. I wouldn't expect that to hold up. Sorry.. I have very little fath in Dorel stuff.

Other stuff, maybe.. dependng on the brand.. But we haven't had baby gear around for 3-4 years, so I have no idea if any of it held up or not..

Well they also are Graco and Eddie Bauer stuff too..... and I some of that stuff is good IMO

hey mommy
08-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Eddie Bauer is also Dorel.. Cosco/Safety 1st/Eddie Bauer baby stuff.. all Dorel.

Graco is kind of iffy.. some is good, some is not..

2sunshines
08-09-2007, 03:29 PM
All of my baby stuff has lasted through all three of my kids. And my baby is 5.5 years younger than my oldest. :shrug

I did replace the car seat with the third, but not because it wore out, rather because it got old.

Heather R
08-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies. You are all right about #1 putting wear on things when using them for #2... Though DD has been pretty good, and it's not really a factor with the monitor...

And I guess I do understand that they can't replace items forever... I just hate having to spend money on something more than once! But I guess most people probably feel that way!

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent!
Heather

Lantern Light Mama
08-09-2007, 03:43 PM
If its past its expiration date...nope...id get rid of it. Pretty much none of our playpins have lasted through more than one kid. Stroller, yep. One good one has lasted us for four years now.

illinoismommy
08-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies. You are all right about #1 putting wear on things when using them for #2... Though DD has been pretty good, and it's not really a factor with the monitor...

And I guess I do understand that they can't replace items forever... I just hate having to spend money on something more than once! But I guess most people probably feel that way!

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent!
Heather

if you keep an eye out on garage sales, monitors are pretty easy items to find in good condition :)

Linnis
08-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Fisher Price has replaced the bouncy part of the bouncy seat uh 8 times already.

I expect most baby stuff to be used with the next kid.

Weezie
08-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Graco and Century are the same...I thought that the Dorel Juvenile group (cosco, eddie bauer) was a completely different group. I do like some of their stuff, as DH tests car seats for the gov/companies, and we have the Cosco Alpha Omega Convertible seat as well as the Eddie Bauer High back booster with harness, I also have their Eddie Bauer musical cradle for dd2, which broke, and they replaced it for free. I guess everyone has had different experiences with different companies. I've learned that lately... :shrug

I like Fisher Price, as I have the Soothing Massage bouncy seat for dd1, it stopped vibrating (with new/different batteries) and the sent a new vibrating unit for free, also sent a WHOLE NEW aquarium thing that has fish on it and a wheel that turns for free when the wheel on the other onw stopped turning. They have also replaced the whole motor unit for the Pompesan swing at work when it died.

Eowyn
08-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Eddie Bauer is also Dorel.. Cosco/Safety 1st/Eddie Bauer baby stuff.. all Dorel.

Graco is kind of iffy.. some is good, some is not..

I see Janice and I are of one mind on baby product brands. :giggle

After 3 kids, I've determined that, especially if there are older siblings involved, baby gear is a getting what you pay for item. Our Graco stroller went to pieces after 15 months of one-kid usage. My Inglesina is still in great shape 2 years later, and my MacLaren stroller is still working like it did the day we got it. My Arm's Reach cosleeper is holding up much better than the Graco Pack n Play did, and same with several other baby brand items. Our Fisher Price monitor, while a bit pricier than the Safety 1st we got, has worked much longer.

We've determined it's generally better for us to save for a bit, and spend a bit more on the higher end product, and get a longer product life.

trustingGod2
08-10-2007, 05:39 AM
My swing and bouncy lasted for my 1st 2 however I need to replace them for the third. I do have a friend wanting to give me a baby shower for this preg especially now that we know it's girl and everything I own is blue but some family members are strickly against it so I'll wait and see.

SweetMelissa
08-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I have also had problems with Safety 1st monitors. We were given one as a gift for ds2, and it didn't work to begin with. I called and told them what was up, and they sent me a replacement power cord. That didn't help, so they sent me a replacement parent unit. That worked...for about a month. I called again and they told me they couldn't help me unless I had the original receipt. :hunh Apparently they don't make that model anymore, so they would have to replace the whole thing, but they can't do that without a receipt. :doh So we are without a monitor. :(

abharrington
08-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Eowen...that is how i think too! while dd is only 7 mo, i am hoping her things will last through babies to come. we are very careful about what we buy and usually save for a better brand or just do without. (it helps that we have a tiny house and 1 child). i do like the cosco scerena carseat and it was dirt cheap. i also love my McLaren stroller. i have pretty much avoided graco, safety 1st, eddie bauer and the like. i do like to shop garage sales - i figure if it is used and still working well, there is a good chance it will keep on keeping on.

Marielle
08-18-2007, 11:55 AM
nope, I don't - I prefer to pass on or sell. I'm also of the mind to spend on quality (I was devouring the Baby Bargains book and forums before #1 was born) but I HATE storing baby stuff. Especially baby clothes. The stuff seems to get more worn in storage and stains that weren't visible before are after several months packed away.

I expect car seats to last the life of the plastic or until in an accident. I still have my Peg stroller from #1 but that's also because neither boy liked strollers so it's gathering dust in the garage. I expect to have both marathons until they are expired or both kids outgrow them. Other than that, :shrug. I'd rather sell an item than store it. That's what we did with the FP papasan swing we bought for #2. Yeah it's a great swing but by the time we decide to have #3 there will likely be a better model out there. We sold it for $80 on craigslist and were spared having to give up storage space while putting the money to good use.

Clothes I give away. I pass them onto my nephew, a friend's kid, etc. Why? Because I think it's better for someone to use them than me having them packed away. When #2 was on the horizon I hit consignment sales and THEN began to put aside the stuff my oldest outgrew but I won't keep more than will fit in their closet.

I don't expect toys to last through multiple kids but many have (our M&D stuff, the play kitchen, some sturdier plastic stuff,etc.).

Our baby monitor didn't get any use until #2 was born and we used it to keep tabs on #1 while he slept in our room. Now we have a multiple phone system that works as a monitor too so we sold those at the garage sale.

MoongardenMama
08-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I also agree that Safety First is junk.  I've been through 2 of their monitors myself. 
It seems to me that all the "stuff" that is deemed "necessary" for a baby in *this* day and age is the stuff that doesn't last...Since dd1, we've been through:
- monitors
- bouncers
- seats of every kind
- strollers
Basically, almost everything is gone...except:
- a crib
- a changing table
- an old enamelware baby tub from my great aunt
- an excello babyfeeder (non electric - it's the hot water warming kind)
- and the baby buggy that my mom pushed me around in

...Aside from the crib, ALL old stuff - all still good as new.  It's unfortunate, but they just don't make stuff like the used to.  Clothes too...I buy my stuff second hand on ebay in order to get the well made brands for less.  Those things have lasted me ALL the way through both girls, and I will be using some on this baby too.  The cheap clothing, honestly I don't even bother with. So, I too - save for a better brand or do without.

Iarwain
08-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Maybe I'm cynical but it seems like the baby products are getting more and more poorly made by the year. Example: I just had to replace the strap on high chair/booster seats I bought when the twins were babies (they're 12). They lasted us through five children and were still sort of functional but so dirty and had design flaws (places that catch gunk) such that I decided to spring the $15 for a new one. The old ones were made of a heavy duty plastic and really took a lot of abuse. The new one is much lighter plastic and just looks cheaper. Same with strollers. I have/had old strollers that weren't especially good brands and they took a real beating. When I look at the newer ones I see multiple points where they look like they could break. I think that the companies are figuring on reducing the expected lifespan of their products so more people will have to go buy new ones rather than use hand-me-downs. But again, perhaps I'm being overly cynical.

MoongardenMama
08-22-2007, 03:32 AM
I think that the companies are figuring on reducing the expected lifespan of their products so more people will have to go buy new ones rather than use hand-me-downs. MMM-hm. :yes2 My thoughts exactly.

Katydid
08-22-2007, 04:57 AM
I think that the companies are figuring on reducing the expected lifespan of their products so more people will have to go buy new ones rather than use hand-me-downs. MMM-hm. :yes2 My thoughts exactly.

I find the same thing with electronics.... it's infuriating! :hissyfit

I've been through two bouncy seats with dd because ds kept trying to sit in them. :doh The bar actually snapped in two on one of them! :hunh So I will need another one of those if (when) we have another baby. We did have a jumperoo that held up great through both kids and I only sold it because we had no space to store it. :shrug

Another good reason to be AP...... all my baby carriers are still in great shape! ;) And my pack n play too, because I think I've only used maybe 5 times. :shrug :giggle

illinoismommy
08-22-2007, 06:19 AM

Its absolutely true. There is a lightbulb in Minnesota last I heard its still working and its something like 80 years old-- of course that lightbulb manufacturer went out of business .... probably because once you buy a lightbulb from them, you didn't need anymore! I wish I could find quality things that would last a long time, we're adding to the destruction of our world by getting new new and more new plastic thingeys.

Whisperlily
08-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Its absolutely true. There is a lightbulb in Minnesota last I heard its still working and its something like 80 years old-- of course that lightbulb manufacturer went out of business .... probably because once you buy a lightbulb from them, you didn't need anymore!

This is true! Here's a link, they even have a "lightbulb cam" It's over 100 years old. The problem, though is it's only a 4 watt bulb, and we're not talking about the new energy saving kind. (Not talking about baby gear, but sometimes the old stuff that was longer lasting didn't work better.)

http://www.centennialbulb.org/index.htm