PDA

View Full Version : August 07 Canning Plans

kklibrarian
08-07-2007, 12:33 PM
So far this month I've put up five jars of watermelon rind preserves and three pint jars of salsa. I'd still like to do some more fig preserves if I can get my hands on some figs. I also need to make the WIC juice into jelly.

Post here with what you have put up or are planning to put up this month. :smile

Blessings,
Kelly

3PeasInAPod
08-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Spaghetti sauce (using your recipe from the other thread :giggle)
Peaches
blackberry jam
rasberry jam
pickles (maybe..not sure yet)

Can I ask what you do with watermelon rind perserves? I've never heard of that...

amanda1
08-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Spagetti Sauce
Pizza Sauce
peaches
salsa

Where can I find the Spagetti Sauce recipe? I have one I've used for years but would like to try a new one.

kklibrarian
08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
I make watermelon rind preserves to serve on biscuits or buttered bread....pretty much eat them the way you would any other preserve. They are sort of an acquired taste. Most people either love them or hate them. I LOVE THEM!

You trim the pink and the green parts of the rind, leaving the white part only. Cut the white parts into bite-size pieces and soak in salted water for 6 hours or so. Then, you rinse the rinds thoroughly, sprinkle them with powdered ginger, and boil the rinds in water for 30 minutes until tender and drain. Make a syrup with 1/4 cup of lemon juice, about 4 cups of sugar, and 6 cups of water. Bring the syrup to a boil and let boil for five minutes. Add the rinds and cook for 30 minutes until the syrup is clear and the rinds are translucent.

Blessings,
Kelly

kklibrarian
08-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Spagetti Sauce
Pizza Sauce
peaches
salsa

Where can I find the Spagetti Sauce recipe? I have one I've used for years but would like to try a new one.

The spaghetti sauce recipe I use is in the thread just preceding this one in this forum. It's in amongst several other recipes. I may talk to a mod about making a sticky of canning recipes.

Blessings,
Kelly

amanda1
08-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Got it. Thank you. A sticky of canning recipes would be great!