PDA

View Full Version : Remedies for poor attachment

Tuesdayschild
08-07-2007, 09:20 AM
I have 2 ds, with 2 years between 'em. Younger ds is 2 and I worry he may be showing signs of not full attachment (or whatever it is called). It would be very possible, because :cry he had to go to day care when he was 2.5m old. I did keep bf until he was 9m, and he co-slept on and off (as was his need) during that time, but still... I was out at work. I know I missed him!

The 'signs' I see are mainly how insecure he is if I even leave the room for 2 sec. Immediate panic. I know around 9m they get that separation anxiety, but I can't think of a time in the last year where he wasn't in a panic when he couldn't see me. I've tried going back to wearing him ( I wore him a lot as a baby), but mostly he gets fidgety after about a minute. Obviously I do lots of cuddles and try to make as much special time for him as possible.

Any other ideas? Or am I worrying unnecessarily? Oldest ds is a very sensitive type, but he was never like this.

hink4687
08-08-2007, 09:04 PM
I honestly don't think it has anything to do with you working when he was younger. I think your being too hard on yourself. :hug2 Its definitely age appropriate and some kids just have a stronger need to be with their mom than others. My son has always been very attached to me and he still has a hard time when I leave him (he's 2 1/2).

But if your still worried about your relationship with him and his attachment to you I would just spend lots of time with him. At this age the best thing you can do is play with him! Try and not spend too much time running errands with him or cleaning house etc but spend actual one on one play time with him. Whether that be reading to him for hours, playing cars, or going to the park...whatever kind of play he likes best! I have to remind myself this constantly because even though we are together 24/7 its not always quality time because I get busy doing other things with him and not really giving him my full attention!

klpmommy
08-09-2007, 02:37 PM
E has never been in day care & has been away from me for probably less than a total of 24 hours her whole life (with the exception of my hospital stay Jan 2006, but she was with Daddy the entire time). And there are still times she falls apart if I am not right there. It was really extreme up until over 2 when she would stay with Daddy for a short time, but it really didn't improve until over 3 y/o. Even now she still has problems with most people. She is very sensitive.