PDA

View Full Version : First time she's done this! What do I do?

Amythestmama
08-06-2007, 08:28 PM
We were at my mom's today for a few hours. Dd was having a really good time playing like usual. It was time to go- ds desperately needed a nap and was wimpering and screaming in turns. (I could have made this somewhat easier by giving dd a little warning that we would be leaving soon. :doh Didn't think of that till I was writing this! :blush) Anyway, I went up to get her and she began crying and running away from me. I picked her up and talked to her- "I know you want to play. Jojo needs a nap so we have to go home. You can come play again another day." Listened to what she was trying to say- mainly that she wanted to see/play with her aunts and she DIDN'T want mama, she wanted to 'stay all day at gramma's.' She calmed down and I carried her downstairs- in the way down, she began the loud crying and hollering again. I told her she didn't have to like it but that was what we were doing- going home. She began to try to pull my hair and scratch me! :jawdrop She's never done that before. I stopped, moved her hands away and said "No. You may not pull my hair or scratch me." She stopped but continued to cry and thrash. I sat on the couch and held her to try to get her calmed down. No luck- she'd stop for a minute and seem reasonable and then start it up again. I finally just carried her out crying and by the time we got to the van, she had stopped. Buckled her all in and went back for ds. He was asleep by the time we got home and after taking dd to the bathroom, I put her in bed too. She was asleep in 5 minutes and slept for 2 hours. I'm guessing she was terribly tired and yes, dissapointed that the fun was ending. So did I do the right thing? What can I do different next time?
Sorry it's so long. Thanks for reading this far!

mamaKristin
08-06-2007, 08:37 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head with the idea of a "we're leaving" warning. :yes

These things can happen with kids when they don't want to do something, and you sound like you handled it well.

klpmommy
08-07-2007, 02:38 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head with the idea of a "we're leaving" warning. :yes

These things can happen with kids when they don't want to do something, and you sound like you handled it well.

ITA. And BTDT in realizing a helpful solution AFTER the fact. :hug

ArmsOfLove
08-07-2007, 07:37 PM
also, you handled it just fine in the moment :tu