PDA

View Full Version : constant power struggles

MotherSong
08-06-2007, 05:19 AM
Hello,

and HELP!

Over the past year or so, my kids and I really found our "groove" and were getting along really well. We got to a point where our power struggles had almost ceased to be. It was wonderful! So wonderful, in fact, that we soon found ourselves expecting "blessing #3"

Then, summertime came. My husband, a school teacher, was home full-time. Meanwhile, in June, I took a part-time job for a month. Then I spent some time working on my dissertation, doing birth planning, nesting, cleaning closets--etc. Overall, I've relied on my husband's presence at home to allow me to "get things done" while sharing the childcare with him. And, over the course of the past couple months, we have completely lost our rhythm as a family.

I certainly don't want to complain. DH is a great dad. He's generally a very patient person. But I hear constant power struggles, threats, ultimatums...and lots of yelling and crying. DH has never been interested in reading about GBD or positive discipline...or anything along those lines. And it's hard to bring it up without sounding like I'm accusing or blaming him for my frustration. I barely have the hang of it myself. When things were going well, everything was SO easy--we just all got along, and I didn't have to really think about "five steps" or methods. I just asked, and my children listened, most of the time--and we ate regular meals, and took naps when we were tired, and got along well. Then, summer hit and now NO ONE listens to anyone else.

Obviously, things at home right now are NOT working. When I'm "in charge" now, the kids seem very manipulative, whiny, and angry. Since we haven't been together all day every day these past couple months (as we were used to being), I wonder if they are feeling really mad at me, or whether they feel abandoned by their Mom. At the same time, I do think it's important for me to be able to step back and give my DH a chance to spend one-on-one time with the kids, without having to "hover" and tell him how to interact with them.

So...any ideas? How can we get back to a place of cooperation?

BTW, this is URGENT because we're expecting a baby, due August 23 (which also happens to be the first day of school...) and I'm scared silly that we're going to have QUITE a transition going on here.

My kids are "Trinity" age 4.5 and "Bubble" age 2. "Buckyay" is due in two weeks.

Love,
MotherSong

Marsha
08-06-2007, 07:02 AM
I don't have any great advice, except those are pretty tough ages. Maybe your dh's boundaries are looser than yours and that makes them whine more, etc?
I don't know, just wanted to offer (((hugs))). You have a lot going on this summer.

Joanne
08-06-2007, 03:07 PM
But I hear constant power struggles, threats, ultimatums...and lots of yelling and crying.

Learning to live happily with kids is a skill. It's not necessarily a GBD issue, really, although it makes GBD easier. I'd approach your husband with the reality that the tone of your home is not positive, happy and does not feel like a sanctuary.

MotherSong
08-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Thank you so much for the encouragement, hugs and prayers.

Yesterday was my first day home alone all day with the kids while my husband was out all day--and the kids and I got along well. They DO need time to transition from one parenting style to another. But having one good day gives me confidence that we can and will get back in our "groove" eventually.

I'd still appreciate any advice you may have on getting dads on board with GBD.

Love,
MotherSong

MarynMunchkins
08-07-2007, 06:02 AM
Does your dh know that accomplishing discipline without yelling, etc. is a goal of yours? I'd just sit down and talk to him about it. You don't have to be an expert to say "This is what I want, and I'd like your help to accomplish it." :)

Tanyia
08-07-2007, 06:09 AM
I don't have any good advice other than approaching him in down time, as to how you all can acheive peace and harmony...I'd imagine it's been hard on the kids to go from one way of life (you being there most of the time) to dh with a different style most of the time. :hugheart