PDA

View Full Version : NT/TMD/WAPF -- how do you choose what to soak your grains in? (right forum now!)

GodChick
08-01-2007, 08:07 AM
(Sorry this is x-posted: Just realized that when I posted it late last night I accidentally posted it in the wrong forum! Pls feel free to remove the other post in the recipe forum. :O )

I know you can use lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. I know you can use yogurt, and I think kefir and whey (?) . . . maybe regular vinegar (??). How do you determine which to soak in? How much does what you choose to soak in affect the flavor? I mean, can I just use water and kefir all the time?

And exactly how does the addition of those things make it different than soaking in plain water? Like when I normally make beans, I just soak 'em in plain ol' water. But I saw Jodi's recipe in another thread:

Beans (just throwing this out there to be helpful ) Soak beans in water plus 2 T lemon juice or Apple cider vinegar for 12 hours in covered pan left in warm spot. Drain water, rinse. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce hear to lowest possible setting - cook until desired consistency. To reduce gaseous properties of beans. Put small piece of kombu (seaweed) and about 1 T cumin into beans after rinsing and before boiling. Remove kombu when beans finished.

ANy specific questions?

Exactly what difference does the vinegar or lemon juice make? I haven't read Nourishing Traditions yet, but it's on my wish list. I've read The Maker's Diet, where he recommends a lot of the same types of food, and there's stuff in there about soaking and using lemon juice/vinegar/yogurt for that . . . but I'm not really clear on why. I know it has to do with making the nutrients in it more bioavailable . . . but how does adding that stuff to beans make it different than soaking the beans in plain water?

TIA -- I'm really loving learning about all this!!

thomlynn
08-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Here is a great article at WAPF all about beans. http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/cooking-legumes.html

GodChick
08-02-2007, 09:02 AM
that is a great article -- thank you! :yes