PDA

View Full Version : GBD with special needs kids?

SingingPraise
08-01-2007, 05:44 AM
My son is 4. He has a moderate speech delay and some behavioral/sensory issues (agression, hyperactivity). He is starting special needs preschool in two weeks so that he can get OT and Speech therapy.

We had tried a comfort corner - but that never worked for him honestly - he gets too angry too quickly and flails/hits etc. Right now we're using a squishy ball for self calming. We use terms like "use your words please" , "make a good choice"and "we need to be kind to our friends/teachers/sisters". We PRAISE him for using big words and making good choices and having a gentle touch.
We use a timer for turn taking. We're learning how to work with him already through his evaluations and IEP and discussion primarily with the OT on his sensory seeking behaviors.

But honestly it is so hard sometimes when he (like any other child) says "no. Its nOT time for bed" and runs from me. Or after
"In five minutes we'll need to pick up and wash hands for dinner. Ok guys 1 more minute and its time to clean up and wash our hands. Ding ding ding. time is up - tv is off and it is time to pick up the toys now".

1. Please pick up the blocks Roman it is time to wash up for dinner
2. I asked you to pick up the blocks now. Can you do it yourself or do you need help
3. You're not picking up the blocks. I guess I"ll have to put them away for you.
(he throws the block at me, the dog, someone etc)
4. that isn't how we play with blocks. (mom cleans up blocks) The blocks are in time out now on top of the fridge you can have them back when you earn them back with 3 nice behaviors.
that throws him into full force screaming mode and he has to be removed from the room until he can self calm and say he's sorry and move on.
SOme times after working a full day, this happens 2 -3 times a night and I'll tell you I'm exhausted.

so how do you guys do things?

MarynMunchkins
08-01-2007, 05:55 AM
The same more often. ;) IMHO, GBD is the *only* thing that comes close to working with my kids.

Honestly, I think what you might be seeing is some typical 3/4 yo behavior magnified because of his delays. Tater Tot does a lot of the same thing, and he's "normal". :)