PDA

View Full Version : I'm not liking the mommy I am lately

Rbonmom
07-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Ds is not quite 3 and he's always been fairly easy to handle, but lately I've just been slipping into this really punitive/threatening talk with him. Everything is "if you don't do x you won't be able to have y" etc... :doh I think a big part of it is I'm really tired from having been a single mom for almost 3yrs now :( I'm just weary right now.
Anyway, I do have a point here.... what kinds of things can I do to encourage him to obey/comply with my requests? Do you just do the 5 steps a million times a day? At some point does it catch on? I'm just feeling burned out.

RubySlippers
07-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Can you get a change of scenery to break up the monotony and ease the burnt-out feeling? :hug2

ArmsOfLove
07-31-2007, 01:32 PM
yep, just keep doing what you're doing. 3 is a tough age. They are asking "how much power do I have over YOU and the rest of the world?" If they get less than a confident answer they continue to push. It takes a few years to *get it* for them, but this is the age range where you do whatever you're doing 100 times or more. Eventually the move to the next stage :hug2

asher
07-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Three was by far the hardest age for us with ds, too. :hug2 I agree with Crystal, it does eventually click. It just seems really redundant now. (((hugs))) for being the gentle, loving mama you are & give yourself grace :)

PurpleButterfly
07-31-2007, 11:25 PM
You should definitely read Ames & Ilgs, "Your Three Year Old". :yes :hug2 :heart

Close2MyHeart
08-01-2007, 04:46 AM
:hugheart

It is hard work... especially when you are doing it alone. :hugheart Yes, continue to use the 5 steps a gazzillion times/day if need be. It can be frustrating, but it is effective. :tu Sometimes if I need a break, I'll make sure to focus on something I enjoy during their quiet time/rest time. It helps me feel rejuvenated a little. Is there anyone who can watch him for you so you can have a few hrs to yourself?