PDA

View Full Version : fresh tomato penne

herbalwriter
07-30-2007, 05:31 PM
made this up tonight - so good!
serves approx. 3 adults (or ds and me with leftovers for lunch!)

2 cups uncooked penne
2 fresh tomatoes, peeled and sliced (you could chop or dice them but not if you want it quick, and you can skip peeling if you're not picky)
approx. 6 oz. mozz. cheese
approx. 2" square chunk feta cheese
fresh basil
fresh oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
nitrite-free pepperoni (optional)
salt
olive oil (I use the spray)

Cook penne; drain. Spray casserole dish (mine was oval, probably 1 1/2 qt., 2" deep) with olive oil spray or coat with o.oil. Put single layer of penne in casserole; top with tomato slices, sprinkle with half of fresh chopped herbs and one of the minced garlic cloves. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Put layer of sliced mozz. cheese (or grated if you have time) and crumble half of feta on top. Repeat layers, ending with feta. Cover and bake at 375 for 30 min or longer. I topped it with nitrite-free pepperoni (thank you, Applegate Farms!) for ds - I put the pepperoni on at the end of baking, and put it back in the oven oncovered at 400 for 12-15 more minutes.
YUM YUM YUM

devonmama
05-15-2008, 02:08 AM
I know this was posted a while ago, but just wanted to say thanks Leah for posting it...I can't wait to try it, it looks very tasty :)

herbalwriter
05-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Well thanks! I am glad someone noticed!!! :P~ I had forgotten all about it - definitely a seasonal dish so a good time for you to resurrect it. :yes

And welcome! :kiss

Sarai
05-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Oooh, yum- I can use some GF penne and I bet DS would love the pepperoni on top.