PDA

View Full Version : I'm just... or nothing...

milkmommy
07-28-2007, 02:05 PM
How do I address these comments. There Cecilias favorite response to whatever I say. Cecilia get your shoes. put this away don't do X what ever most are just general things that happen in a normal day but its almost always met with eaither her saying nothing or I'm just... (I mean she says the word nothing)
SO I'll tell her Cecilia time for dinner
her response (says) nothing :scratch :shrug
Me: Its time for dinner come sit down
Her: I'm just.. (whatever)
Me: yes (acknowlrge reflect ect) come sit down.. and offer help
her NOTHING!!
:scratch :doh They drive me bonkers casuse i they feel deffient but more I have no clue what they mean its just I'm just and nothing back and forth...

Deanna

poleidopy
07-28-2007, 02:58 PM
:popcorn

AdrienneQW
07-29-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm probably the wrong person to offer advice - the "I'm just" absolutely drives me BONKERS, and we've banished it from the house. DS said it *constantly* and it felt very sassy and argumentative to me, so we decided "I'm just" is not an appropriate response in our family. Instead, in response to a request to do something, he says "Yes Mommy... may I (insert request)?" or "Yes Mommy... I need to (whatever)" So we went from:

Me: "Put all four legs of your chair on the floor"
Dexter: (chair legs still off the floor) "I'm just... (stretching, reaching for a napkin, etc)

to:

Me: "Put all four legs of your chair on the floor"
Dexter: "Yes Mommy (puts chair legs on floor). May I have a napkin?" or "Yes Mommy (legs on floor). I need to stretch"

The "I'm just" thing doesn't bother a lot of people, including Grandma who thinks I'm nuts. :giggle But it was becoming a problem here, so we put a stop to it.

I have, well, nothing to offer on the topic of her saying "Nothing"... :popcorn

milkmommy
07-29-2007, 08:15 PM
how did you teach the change from I'm just .. to somethng else. I ussually get things like I'm just SHH! stop looking at me or TURN you head mommy! SHe doesn't actually or seldom say what shes JUST doing. :giggle :/

Deanna

AdrienneQW
07-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Well, again I'm probably the wrong person to ask... I don't think I handled it particularly well. :shifty I actually started interrupting him when he would say "I'm just" and reply "NO, you are not JUST anything, put your chair legs down NOW." Not a lot of grace there, I'm afraid. :blush I did modify it to say "I don't respond to "I'm just", try again" and then eventually to our standby "Try again".

milkmommy
07-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, again I'm probably the wrong person to ask... I don't think I handled it particularly well. :shifty I actually started interrupting him when he would say "I'm just" and reply "NO, you are not JUST anything, put your chair legs down NOW." Not a lot of grace there, I'm afraid. :blush I did modify it to say "I don't respond to "I'm just", try again" and then eventually to our standby "Try again".

Yea thats what I do :shifty Actually I don't think its soo terrible :shifty Its just not helping. :shifty Ohh and when I say things like I don't respond to.. she goes YES YOU DO! your talking RIGHT NOW! :/ :hunh.

Deanna

AdrienneQW
07-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Ohh and when I say things like I don't respond to.. she goes YES YOU DO! your talking RIGHT NOW!
Well, she has a point! :giggle :tu

milkmommy
07-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Ohh and when I say things like I don't respond to.. she goes YES YOU DO! your talking RIGHT NOW!
Well, she has a point! :giggle :tu

:giggle Yea I know shes a literlist but its only funny wayyy after like now not then :shifty :/ ;)

Deanna