PDA

View Full Version : They don't sleep well... melatonin?

This Busy Mom
07-24-2007, 11:04 PM
My younger two are light sleepers. They are driving me over the edge and I need them to sleep more/better. Will melatonin fix this?

It is 2 am and I have a baby in my lap and a half awake toddler crying at my knee (I'm waiting up for the older kids that went out of town with one of their grandparents and will be home shortly).

MarynMunchkins
07-25-2007, 06:56 AM
I've never used it for a kid under 3, but it helps Banana and Tater Tot both. If I forget to give it to them, they're up half the night. :rolleyes

Banana takes 4 mg, and Tater Tot takes 3.

This Busy Mom
07-25-2007, 07:10 AM
I would probably be a new person if I could get those two to sleep more/better. I may have to try it after I look into it more.

bliss
07-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Melatonin worked like a charm for Booger's half-brother. Made him sleep better and be a much nicer person in the daytime. I know his mom started him on it at 2, but am not sure of the amount she would give.

dukeofhazzard
07-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Melatonin can work, but have you tried calcium/magnesium? You can get it in liquid form - it worked for both my little ones.

mommyTay
07-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Melatonin can work, but have you tried calcium/magnesium? You can get it in liquid form - it worked for both my little ones.

Where did you find the liquid calcium/magnesium? We tried chewables, but they were overwelmingly large. :no2

hopefromgrace
07-25-2007, 07:38 PM
hmmmm...I asked this same question on this board a long time ago and was told by many mamas that it's not safe (not sure the exact reasons) to give to kids :scratch :shrug

MarynMunchkins
07-26-2007, 06:33 AM
It's a hormone, so generally it's not recommended for kids. It's something I've discussed with a couple psychiatrists and therapist who have seen my kids, and they felt it was worth a try. :)

SilverMoon
07-26-2007, 12:12 PM
I second the recommendation for calcium. I've found a liquid form of cal/mag at the health food store. It's also flavored, lemon, cherry,etc. It's a bit chalky, but easier to get down than the chewables.
My oldest son just wouldn't ever sleep. When he was around 2.5 he started having leg pains, and I realized he had to be low in cal/mag. Within a day or two of taking the supplement, he was falling asleep w/i 20 minutes of going down, rather than 2-3 hours.

hopefromgrace
07-26-2007, 01:17 PM
how much of the cal/mag do you give your little one?

dukeofhazzard
07-26-2007, 02:14 PM
I found a liquid cal/mag at my healthfood store.. I'm sorry :O I don't remember the brand. I gave my boys 1/2 the adult dose.