PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me what you know...

mama-hobbit
07-23-2007, 01:04 PM
about Karyn Henley and the materials from her company "Child Sensitive Communication" :shrug (http://www. karynhenley.com/index.htm)

I saw some of their things at a local homeschooling conference this past weekend and wasn't able to get a good look or talk to anyone about their stance on 'discipline' etc.

Heather Micaela
07-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I haven't heard of her :shrug

joyinthejourney
08-21-2010, 06:02 PM
I love her music & just began exploring her website & podcasts. So far, so good! But, I, too was curious about her stance on spanking, specifically. Reviving this thread to see if anyone knows?

joyinthejourney
08-23-2010, 10:51 AM
I wrote to Karyn Henley, & received a reply.

Thank you for your encouraging words. Regarding your question, I believe there are many, many ways to train a child without spanking. I have a hard time seeing the logic behind parents telling a child not to hit if the parents themselves are hitting. Besides which, spanking often does not work with the children we think need it most. I know of good parents who raised fine children without spanking. While I am not a crusader against spanking, I hope I can provide many alternatives so that if parents truly believe they need to spank at times, those times will be rare. The key to raising moral children is to help them respect others and think of how the other person must feel when wrong is done to them. (The Golden Rule.) In order to do that, we must respect our children, spend time with them, communicate with them, and help them grow to see the reasons for making right choices. You might find some helpful information in my book Child-Sensitive Teaching, which is for parents as well as teachers and discusses stages of child development, communication, and discipline.
Blessings!
Karyn Henley