PDA

View Full Version : Woah!! One more post about Maker's Diet -- is Rubin REALLY a big ol' fraud?

GodChick
07-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Was googling info about Maker's Diet and found THIS:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art35127.asp The article is in several parts; links to all the parts are at the bottom of the page.

Now, TBH, I have no intention of buying any of his supplements. I am a big believer in probiotics, and I already take some that don't have soil organisms in them. (I find that aspect kinda :hunh really)

Nonetheless, the whole-foods aspects and the kosher aspects and the rest of the book seem to be quite reasonable and healthy to me. :shrug But I did mention in my very first post about this subject that I was kind of put off by the fact that you can't get any real info from Makersdiet.com without paying to sign up for it first . . . now this stuff about his credentials being fraudulent? So . . . in your opinion, is his advice sound, or is he a snake-oil salesman?

I was just getting ready to invest some time and energy into the Maker's Diet. :think

Aisling
07-19-2007, 10:19 PM
:popcorn :think

morninglory
07-19-2007, 11:33 PM
i bought the book a few years ago, and the diet itself seems pretty well balanced, and even the supplements he recommends make sense, bu ti had a hard time once i got to the healthy food store, and saw some of the prices on the items he was recommending. and the prices on his line of products is outrageous...ic ant bring myself to pay that kind of money for soil based organisms, or special soap....
the diet he has outlined seems right on, and the suggestions for cleanliness are pretty straight forward....i dont think he is all snake oil, but i guess he is out to make a living the same as most.

GodChick
07-20-2007, 07:25 AM
That totally makes sense to me, too. And that's what I thought. I just can't figure out the reason for the fake degrees, though. :/

morninglory
07-20-2007, 10:26 AM
he has fake degrees???? weird!

Beauty4Ashes
07-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Wow, the second time I read one of his books, he felt kind of pompous to my ears, but to have made it all up, eek!

mom2threegirls
07-20-2007, 10:44 AM
I read his book a few years ago and was so excited about it (what a great title! that and the cover had me thinking it would be just fantastic :O). I did NOT like it for many of the reasons listed in the article :no2. It seemed like a long advertisement for his products, which just happened to be RIDICULOUSLY priced :rolleyes. The diet itself sounded pretty good but very difficult to follow. If something is THAT hard to follow I really believe it's more harmful because it promotes yo-yo dieting- it's just too hard to stick to long term. I returned it to the library after having it for a month and reading through it a couple times and was very thankful I didn't buy it. (Oh, and I wrote a bad review for it on amazon :shifty). I'm not sure he made it all up- he really did SEEM like he believed it all but I wasn't sure about it myself. He is definitely out to make money- more so than just earning a living IMO.

If you can follow it and don't mind spending a fortune for the supplements it certainly won't hurt you- in fact it WOULD be very very healthy (a lot of it unnecessary but :shrug). I just really disliked his pompous tone throughout the whole book and he definitely struck me as a snake oil salesman :yes2. :shrug

GodChick
07-20-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm thinking of incorporating some of the healthy foods into our diet and totally disregarding the supplements.

Mert
07-20-2007, 12:04 PM
He refers to the Weston A. Price foundation and uses quite a few recipes from Nourishing Traditions. I think you can get a good deal of info from both of these sources, and they both seem to be legit.

cobluegirl
07-20-2007, 12:20 PM
personally scanning that article..I would believe Rubin over the chick that wrote it. MPO.

GodChick
07-23-2007, 08:47 AM
I would believe Rubin over the chick that wrote it. MPO.

Really? How come?

Actually, I'm considering not writing him off entirely, because most of what she says about his education isn't as bad as she's trying to make it sound. His degrees aren't really "fake" they're just not accredited -- some are correspondence. So, really, that doesn't mean they're nonsense. After all, I've got two degrees from a "legit" brick and mortar university. But I also got my education to do medical transcription from an unaccredited correspondence course. The course was actually VERY good. It was much more comprehensive than the medical terminology courses I took at the "real" university. :tu

Now, it's not accredited because it's a correspondence course; you can cheat yourself out of the education if you just look up the answers on the tests and turn them in like that, or if you have someone else do the work for you. Just like the gal in the article said, you CAN do that. But you'd be cheating yourself out of learning what you're paying to learn. I did the courses properly, and they were very educational.

So, just because his education came from unaccredited sources or correspondence courses, that shouldn't automatically make him discredited. :)

cobluegirl
07-23-2007, 12:42 PM
I don't like her tone of voice and I am not convinced of the things that she states. Her motive seems off. I could probably go on and a little more "less feely" but I don't have time right now.
With the internet you can find stuff to "bunk" anyone...

BHope
07-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Unaccredited can mean a million things. For whatever it's worth some of our nations top schools are unaccredited. I know for a while Harvard wasn't accredited, and at this point only their undergraduate degrees are accredited. (Although, I think some of their post-graduate work is accredited individually.) Their scholastic merit stood on it's own accord.