PDA

View Full Version : Maker's Diet?

GodChick
07-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Is this really just a whole foods kinda thing? Looked at the site, but had to sign up and pay to get the real info, which makes me suspicious. How restrictive? Impossible to eat out? It looks like I'd have to give up coffee -- don't think I'd be doin' that!! :lol

2sunshines
07-16-2007, 08:02 AM
I LOVED LOVED LOVED The Maker's Diet. It revolutionalized my thinking. Even if you don't do anything with the information, I still think the information is really good and definitely worth reading. :yes

And no, I wouldn't say it's a whole foods kinda thing.

cobluegirl
07-16-2007, 09:08 AM
IT is a great book. I don't know anything about the website really. He does say to cut back on coffee and when drinking it to only drink organic..but doesn't necessarily say to eliminate it completely. :)

Jilly
07-16-2007, 09:29 AM
They should have this book at your library - I would check it out first.

If I remember correctly it is basically a vegan diet?

2sunshines
07-16-2007, 09:30 AM

The Maker's Diet doesn't advoacte a vegan diet as far as I know. It does advocate eliminating biblically "unclean" meats though.

cobluegirl
07-16-2007, 09:31 AM
no no...not vegan at all. It is more Nourishing Traditions/Weston A Price

Jilly
07-16-2007, 09:32 AM

The Maker's Diet doesn't advoacte a vegan diet as far as I know.

Oh I must of been thinking of a different book - the George Malamukus (sp?) book?

GodChick
07-16-2007, 09:42 AM
uh-oh . . nourishing tradition type? isn't that the guy who advocates eating raw meat? :nails

Jilly
07-16-2007, 09:47 AM
uh-oh . . nourishing tradition type? isn't that the guy who advocates eating raw meat? :nails

Nourishing traditions is Sally Fallon and yes she does have raw meats in her book.

cobluegirl
07-16-2007, 11:24 AM
She does suggest raw meat but in no means demands it. SHe has lots of other recipes with cooked me.. :-)

2sunshines
07-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Maker's diet does not advocate raw meat. :)

4MKfam
07-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Raw milk, yes. I don't remember seeing anything about raw meat. If that were the case, I (reforming emetophobe than I am...) wouldn't go anywhere near it. As it is, I found there were good things and not so good about it. I am still struggling with the idea of full fat being a good thing (old habits die hard --and I have a hard time going against the advice of a huge section of mainstream medical advice), so I kept some and ditched what didn't work for me. Basically, I like the fact that it uses the premise that if God didn't make it (or at least the ingredients in it), it isn't food (my words, not the book's :giggle). It does emphasize some good things, like avoiding and/or eliminating white sugar, white flour, refined proccessed foods, that kind of thing, and I think that's a very good thing. I still have a hard time with changing things like going to full-fat raw milk and completely organic (reasons being mainly financial). I also don't like the fact that he sells so much stuff to go along with the diet :/. I did get their (Garden of Life's) Living Multi, and it's made a great difference in my energy level, but I have a hard time accepting any diet that requires spending huge amounts of money on a certain type of anything. Boy, was that rambly all over the place. Anyway, I think the book's worth a read, but going the whole way with it requires more money and lifestyle changes than I'm willing to do at this point in my life.