PDA

View Full Version : on a quest for the perfect diaper bag

schmamy
07-15-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm almost 36 weeks pregnant...I really need to buy a diaper bag :)

I didn't really love any of the bags they had at Babies R Us, so I didn't register for a diaper bag. I figure, it may be holding baby gear, but it's my bag...I have no desire to carry something with "classic Pooh" or kiddie-themes. I also don't want plain black. I want to find something cute and stylish.

Of course practical is important. And...I don't want to pay through the nose.

Can you help? Anyone want to recommend a brand/style they have loved?

cheri
07-15-2007, 04:35 PM
I got my bag from babystyle.com. Their bags are pricey, but I got mine on clearance there for $20.

Although I just looked there... and the bags are still nice, but IMO, mine is way cuter than any of the ones that they're selling right now.

klpmommy
07-15-2007, 05:25 PM
I have a friend who is custom making mine this time. I have gone through so many diaper bags with P&E- most of the ones at BRU don't seem that well made, at least for me 'cause I tend to be tough on things. The one I liked the best with them wouldn't be able to carry cloth diapers plus other baby necessities so it won't work again. GL on your quest!! :)

cornflower
07-15-2007, 05:28 PM
For non-baby looking, it's hard to beat a Kate Spade or Vera Bradley... but if you don't wanna pay $$$$$, then those might be out.

Honestly, I found that what I liked was different from baby to baby, and even from season to season. In the newborn phase with my first, I used one of the Land's End backpack diaper bags. I loved it, but as baby got older, I moved to a much smaller bag that only held the necessities. With baby #2, I used a smaller bag at first, and then later I started using one of my larger Vera Bradley purses (the Betsy) for baby stuff and then always had my wallet-on-a-string in it... so that I could just grab my wallet and sling it over my shoulder, then sling my OTSBH sling over the other shoulder for baby. I would leave the big bag in the car unless we were going into someplace for *hours*... and if we *had* to have a diaper change, then I'd go to the car to do it.

I wouldn't worry so much about a specific diaper bag b/c you're likely to find your needs changing... however, I would *totally* go buy a wallet-on-a-string for yourself to throw in whichever diaper bag you use. (I like it b/c no matter what I end up doing in the store -- cash, credit/debit, or check -- I have it all right there, but I'm not lugging around a ton of other stuff.)

cheri
07-15-2007, 05:47 PM
I do agree about needs changing. I carried my big diaper bag for months because I felt like I needed something big enough to fit diapers, wipes, extra clothes, blankets, burp cloths, etc. But when dd was closer to a year, I switched to a big purse because I didn't need to carry as much. Now I use a small purse that will fit 1 diaper. And I keep extra necessities in the car.

Calliope
07-15-2007, 06:57 PM
You might want to look at the "Do-it-all" diaper bag from Land's End. It got great reviews on epinions.com and I like how it stands up and stays open by itself (kinda like an old fashioned doctor's bag.) And at $29, it's a great price. I'm going to ask for one for my birthday!

Katydid
07-15-2007, 07:18 PM
If you want unique/handmade bags, do a search for diaper bags on Etsy.com :yes

LittleSweetPeas
07-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Some of my best diaper bags were bags that werent meant to be for diapers. Target is good for this. Just the other day they had a cute laptop bag that you could remove the laptop case from and it was ROOMY! I often buy bags like this:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_12/601-6197835-2964943?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000J43AJK

that are more purse looking so that I can carry it just about anywhere. I also made my own recently that turned out great. If you're crafty at all you could try to do that?

Whisperlily
07-15-2007, 09:47 PM
I used different kinds too, as my needs changed, but one favorite of mine was the leather backpack purse. I found it with the purses, not with the diaper bags or backpacks. Here's a link with all different sizes and styles.

http://www.leathertree.com/shopproducts.asp?categoryid=32&categoryname=Backpack+Purses+

These are much more expensive than I paid, but you get the general idea. Hope you find just the right one!

LittleSweetPeas
07-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Sometimes if you check the GAP men's section they'll have awesome canvas type messenger bags or backpacks that make great diaper bags. Just depends if you'll be okay with green/navy/khaki/black vs. more girly colors. :)

morninglory
07-15-2007, 10:58 PM
i second the etsy.com recomendation.... :yes

JavaMama
07-16-2007, 08:11 AM
I third the Etsy suggestion... and check eBay too. I got a "diaper" tote for my knitting supplies fairly cheap several months ago (in a nice looking fabric with french script on it, not baby-ish at all).

I actually just carry a Vera Bradley purse these days, it was my birthday gift several months ago. I carry a couple of prefolds, a cover and a bummis ditty bag in a really old zippered wetbag that I keep in the minivan (made by the woman who now makes the WonderBag).

When ds was a baby, I had a Sally Spicer tote and they are made really well. Expensive, but they hold up well, nice prints and made in the US (or at least they used to be, that may have changed).

schmamy
07-16-2007, 10:39 AM
thanks for the Etsy tip! I had checked eBay but hadn't thought to look there. I am finding a ton of cute bags!

raquel
07-17-2007, 04:26 AM
I'm surprised noone has mentioned Kecci. I have Kecci that I used ALL the time when DD was younger. But now I've "graduated" to using a smaller bag and keeping change supplies in the car. Have fun!

illinoismommy
07-17-2007, 05:28 AM
aren't we all always on that quest :giggle :popcorn

jenny_islander
07-23-2007, 12:25 AM
If you got a complete set of luggage from somewhere (DH got one from his employer through a safety rewards program), look for the man's grooming kit, especially if it's made of sturdy nylon cloth, which gives, instead of real or fake leather. Stands up on its own and has a hanging hook, has tons of nifty little pockets, and is somehow bigger inside than outside. DH's holds 3 disposable diapers for each child, 2 spare outfits with extra socks, a disposable chuck, a flat travel package of wipes, a tube of sore-bumbum lotion, and some recycled shopping bags for disposing of stink bombs. Of course, when he has to go on his business trip in August, he'll need it back. :giggle

BearyBlessed
07-23-2007, 12:41 PM
I use the Eddie Bauer one from BRU. But, I'm sure you already saw it if you have looked at their stuff.

I needed something 'manly' so the DH would not mind carrying it. And he didn't want any backpack style ones. A mom friend also warned me that the messenger style ones are harder to just reach in and grab something since you have to lift the whole flap first, so I decided against that kind even though I love the look.

Ima LeShalosh
07-23-2007, 11:24 PM
An AmeriBag is great...LOTSA pockets and it's ergonomic!

Evenstarlight
07-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Has anyone tried that bag that ERGO sells???? I was thinking of getting one.