PDA

View Full Version : My mom needs a new computer -- help!

Abinsmom
07-05-2007, 09:09 PM
My mom needs a new computer and is asking me for help. I haven't purchased a new computer for about 3 years and even then, it was for my children, so I have no idea what to buy!

My mom is 73. She has a computer that is 10 years old and still uses dial-up. She uses AOL, and her email is archaeic in the sense that it is nearly impossible for her to attach a previous message in a reply to it. She only uses her computer for email and doesn't understand much about how it all works. She also uses her computer for TurboTax, although she hasn't been able to do that for several years due to her operating system being out of date. BTW, she lives out of state, so I have not been able to help her stay updated.

Long story short, my sister is visiting her next week and one of their goals is to buy mom a new computer. I need some recommendations in order to get them going. We have the following requirements, and are looking for a recommendation based on them:

-- must be a PC
-- WinXP (definitely NOT Vista)
-- Office Suite
-- need a new compatible color printer
-- CD read

The requirements are pretty minimal. My mom is not a very sophisticated user, nor does she want to be. Her main goal in owning a computer is to be able to get her email easily, to view and share photos, and to use financial software. Surfing is still 'out there' for her, but I think converting her to a high-speed connection might prompt her to venture there a bit more.

Any ideas or recommendations? I'd love to get her a package deal while my sister is visiting. I will be visiting her in August and will hopefully be able to get her hooked up with her high-speed ISP at that time, as well as get her oriented on her whole new communication system. She's very resistant, so wish me luck!

Finally, does anyone live in the Las Vegas area that can help me find a good high-speed ISP? I know my mom already subscribes to cable TV, so is that the best way to go there? I don't know where to start!

Thanks, all, for any comments and recommendations!

Hermana Linda
07-05-2007, 10:52 PM
:think. I would think that the first thing to do is to find out what you can get with Win XP on it and start there. You'd want the cheapest one available, since her needs are minimal. Any printer would probably do as well, I would think. That is, unless you want to pay for a good photo printer for those like real photo printouts. You'd want to find out what cable company she has to find out what bundle they have available.