PDA

View Full Version : Any Square Foot Gardeners?

Psyche
07-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Are there any fellow Square Foot Gardeners here? I hope so! I cannot believe the success I am having with my SFG!

Question, do you fertilize throughout the season or just leave it be? Its doing pretty good, but I think some of my corn needs a boost.

godsgracegiven
07-06-2007, 12:38 AM
What is SFG? Does this mean a small garden? I have a very small garden.

Psyche
07-06-2007, 04:23 AM
Square Foot Gardening is a raised four foot square divided into 16 square feet of planting space. I didn't have much room for a garden and this book was recommended to me (titled The Square Foot Garden). In that little space, I've been able to plant: 16 sweet corn plants, 18 blue lake green bean plants, 18 sugar snap pea plants, 18 carrots, 19 spinach plants, 18 green bunch onion, 18 garlic plants.

I might actually have a little bit more of some of the smaller plants. Everything that was planted correctly is doing fabuloulsy. I planted my garlic in the spring though instead of the fall so I'm not sure its going to turn out.

kklibrarian
07-06-2007, 10:46 AM
We square foot garden. We've got three 4X4 boxes right now, and I want to add three more. We haven't been fertilizing throughout the season, but we're composting too and I'm considering adding a little compost as needed when we get enough. My corn is doing ok. My peas are about to overrun the rest of the garden. My tomatoes have been on the small size this year but healthy. :)

Blessings,
Kelly

Sakura
07-06-2007, 10:53 AM
That sounds like fun! We live in an apt. so couldn't have any garden, but my parents live out kind of in the country and share veggies with us - love the fresh veggies!

Sounds like you sure have a lot of produce for that space - bet you will really be enjoying it this summer!