PDA

View Full Version : She is a wreck!!

hiddenhippie6
07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Is there anything that I can give my dog to help calm her nerves? The people who had her before us had teenage boys who would light firecrackers at her (this is why WE have her now) so now she is terrified of fireworks, thunder, things like that . Well it being 4th of July week things are quite noisy around here and I think she may have a heart attack. She shakes and pants so bad, I honestly thought she would pass out the other day. :hunh I wondered if there was any herbal thing that I could give her to help her calm down?

Naked Camper
07-01-2007, 10:00 PM
you can give her some benadryl

hiddenhippie6
07-01-2007, 11:05 PM
That is a good idea. Do you think it would be safe for her? I could give her a pill in food really easy.... :think

Amber
07-01-2007, 11:29 PM
You can add some Rescue Remedy to her water. You can also call your vet and let them know what is going on and they can prescribe something to help calm her down. This is a very common thing this time of year. I would also recommend being right there with her when you take her outside so that she doens't get spooked and find a way of the yard and run off.

Naked Camper
07-02-2007, 07:32 AM
We have given our dogs Benedryl several times before. If I remember correctly, we followed the weight recommendations for humans as it related to our dog's weight.

hiddenhippie6
07-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Oh yea she is right next to me ALL day weather I want her there or not. I thought the kids in the bathroom with me was bad enough now I have the dog and cat too. Geesh :P~ :giggle I left her home for the fireworks last year but I think eventhough they are noisy I will take her with me just so she doesn't feel alone. Plus the city sets them off less than 10 blocks from our house so it will be loud even if we are home. Thanks for your help!!!

SouthPaw
07-02-2007, 07:48 AM
ask your vet about anafranil (clomicalm) as it is used to treat anxiety disorders in canines (and humans!). i'm not sure if it would apply here but it is worth a call if it is a lot of stress.

domesticzookeeper
07-02-2007, 07:49 AM
I agree with asking your vet for a mild sedative. This is something they're very used to dealing with this time of year :yes