PDA

View Full Version : do you consider pb&j's junk food?

Rbonmom
06-30-2007, 09:13 AM
I was watching an Oprah a while back about moms from around the world. There was one mom from Europe and she was saying how her kids never get peanut butter, and she was shocked that American kids eat it so regularly :shrug

I give ds natural organic peanut butter on whole grain bread with the all fruit (no sugar added) jelly several times a week. He's super picky so if I can get him to eat it's a good thing :phew Anyway, do you consider that "junk food"? I'm not the most crunchy when it comes to what he eats, so I was just wondering what you all thought....

poleidopy
06-30-2007, 09:16 AM
I don't eat pb & J, though I like them, because I don't eat bread. But I LOVE peanut butter! I buy the fresh ground kind, or the all natural smuckers, and eat about 1/4 - 1/3 cup at a time! :shifty :yum I know some people thin it's fattening, but PB has good ats. And if you buy it natural, there's no hydrogenated oils. :shrug

DH,on the other hand, LIVES off PB & J. :yes

klpmommy
06-30-2007, 09:20 AM
I don't consider no sugar added pb & all fruit jelly to be junk food at all. However, when we visit the ILs pbj tends to be junkfood b/c they buy the high sugar kinds. We eat ours on ww bread or tortillas or graham crackers (which is the junkiest of ,the three I know),but sometimes that is the only thing my kids will eat. I think it is rather healthy- healthy fat/protein, plus fruit & grains.

Mama Rophe
06-30-2007, 09:22 AM
I feed PB&J to P all the time. He loves it. We use organic PB and organic J on whole grain bread or tortila shells made by me with whole wheat flour.

My mil doesn't think that I should feed him PB because there (according to her) is mold or fungus in it. :scratch I'm really not sure where she got that one.

HomeWithMyBabies
06-30-2007, 09:24 AM
We eat natural pb on whole grain, whole wheat bread. I don't use jelly, though. I usually slice up a banana and layer it in the sandwich. :yum

poleidopy
06-30-2007, 09:24 AM
I feed PB&J to P all the time. He loves it. We use organic PB and organic J on whole grain bread or tortila shells made by me with whole wheat flour.

My mil doesn't think that I should feed him PB because there (according to her) is mold or fungus in it. :scratch I'm really not sure where she got that one.

A lot of people think peanuts are toxic and not easily digested. I think maybe it's becasue they are a legume and not really a nut? :think Not too sure. But I've often heard that. ANd there *can* be toxic mold on them, but I don't think it's likely unless you buy rotten, years-old peanuts. :shrug I like peanut butter too much to really worry. I suppose if I got sick I would, but I've been fine so far. ;)

mom2threegirls
06-30-2007, 09:29 AM
If it's PB with tons of sugar added, white bread, and "jelly" that is mostly corn syrup with very little fruit in it then YES it absolutely is junk food. That's how a lot of people eat a PBJ unfortunately :sick. If it's whole grain bread with all natural, organic, no sugar added PB and all fruit (or at least mostly fruit and no corn syrup!) jam then it's a nutritious, well balanced meal when you include a veggie or fruit with it :yes. My kids have PBJ all the time. And I love them too, I'm just totally addicted to PB so I'm not having them right now :giggle. I saw that lady on Oprah too and I was :giggle at her- she had such a superior attitude over us US mama's :rolleyes.

(the sliced up banana in place of the jam is a great idea! I will have to get my kids to try that!)

Godiva Girl
06-30-2007, 09:36 AM
My best friend is Brazilian and she thinks PB is weird. She doesn't feed it to her kids. Maybe the same in this other lady's culture??

Herbwifemama
06-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Actually, PB does have aflatoxin in it. And the more natural, the more it has- which is just the opposite of what it should be, I know. Lemme google it, and see what I can find... Here's a pretty balanced source: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA115491

Personally, I'd avoid it if I could- but I don't. :) We get the natural Meijer brand, and one day, when we have more money, I'll buy almond butter- which I actually like better than PB anyway.

I don't think PBJs are junk food, but I think there are better things to have for lunch- unless your child won't eat anything else, that is.

Thia
06-30-2007, 10:48 AM
pb and honey on whole wheat.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Aweakness of mine is pbj on toasted english muffins.
yes, we eat a lot of pb/pbj here.

poleidopy
06-30-2007, 10:56 AM
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA115491

apparently those toxins are in way more than just peanuts, but they are tested for it before being shipped off to the supermarkets. Weird though, that there would be more found in fresh ground nuts. You would think that would be better. :scratch

NoodleMom
06-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Nuts is a good source of protein. My daughter will at times get on a peanut butter kick eating it by the spoonful. When she gets like that I know she is lacking in protein. We do eat alot of beans and other high protein foods but peanut butter seems to be a quick way for her to boost that level.

mom2threegirls
06-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Hmmm that IS really weird.... :scratch. I wonder if the toxins are related to all the peanut allergies that kids are getting nowadays too??? :think

I do the same thing as your daughter, Noodlemom ;) I get tons of protein but maybe my body is telling me I need more... :think.

ChristmasGirl
07-02-2007, 01:18 PM
we do Sunbutter (sunflower seed nut butter) instead of PB, with allfruit jelly. it's delish :yum

PurpleButterfly
07-02-2007, 01:24 PM
we do Sunbutter (sunflower seed nut butter) instead of PB, with allfruit jelly. it's delish :yum

:yes :yum I have never been able to find organic sunflower butter, though, so we also use organic cashew or almond butter. I am thrilled when my ds eats a wholesome meal of this with sugar/sweetener free fruit spread on whole grain bread and a tall glass of almond or rice milk! Like pp said, though, not exactly the typical American PB & J, unfortunately.

milkmommy
07-02-2007, 01:31 PM
sneeking in from vacation to say hi and umm nope as trhe mother of a child that will truly starve herself than eat 99% of any foods (nutrutious or not} PB and J with its easy protein source cost effectivness and easy staorage and on her approved food lists is a staple here :giggle. We do natural/organic peantut butter or other nut butter on whole gran brads with organic fruit sprads or alternitives like mashes bannana homemade apple sauce or maple syrup or honey in place on more artifically sugured jams.

Deanna

jojola
07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Personally I'm thrilled when my boys eat peanut butter on whole wheat! I don't mind jam in there to sweeten it up - that's a lot of good grains and protein. I also put honey in, which I loved as a kid. I am living in Malaysia and people here are not only unfamiliar with peanut butter and honey, they are sometime horrified by it - is it just a Canadian thing??

Mother of Sons
07-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Dr. Phil listed it as junk food, along with grilled cheese etc. I don't feel particularly good giving it to my kids. It doesn't seem like a real lunch but I don't necessarily think it is junk food. It's kind of neutral for me.

Nightingale
07-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't consider it junk food if it's whole wheat bread, natural PB, and jelly...I just finally made some freezer jam and although it does have sugar, at least it doesn't have HFCS! But no, I don't think that could really be considered junk food, and it's better than a lot of things my kids will eat, so :shrug

BHope
07-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Well we've admittedly eaten the full spectrum of PB&J from the organic all natural PB and wheat bread with honey to smuckers jelly and Kroger smooth PB on white. :giggle I'd love to be more selective all the time, but sometimes it doesn't happen. Is it junk? Possibly. But then so are hotdogs, mac & cheese, and a whole other host of foods that we eat in this house on occasion.

Sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

Not to mention, I can think of a number of food items off hand that are staple items in European diets that qualify as "junk" in my book but still are oh-so-yummy. Fresh soft pretzel anyone?

WI Mama05
07-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I think PB&J can be healthy and we have it at least once a week, all of us! There was a period when that 's all dd would eat. We also love PB w/ bananas and HONEY on top YUMMY!

hey mommy
07-02-2007, 06:51 PM
I agree w/the others.. The reg. pb loaded w/sugar, white or not-so-wheat wheat bread and high sugar jelly are what make it junk food..
Oh, and lets not forget those wonderful frozen pb&j sandwiches that people buy for convience.. EWWW.

We use all fruit or low-sugar jelly, all natural pb and good wheat bread. I figure the bread gives fiber/carbs that he needs, PB gives protein and fats and jelly is for fun. Or maybe a fruit if it's all fruit..

Herbwifemama
07-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Well, surprise surprise, I disagree with Dr Phil. I think both grilled cheese and PBJ CAN be a good lunch, but only part of one- you have to have some fruit or veggies in there too- unless your child is a toddler- then, if they have the sandwich- ok. They can have the fruit or veggies later. :shifty

Nightingale
07-02-2007, 07:06 PM
oh yeah, there is ALWAYS a fruit and sometimes a veggie with every meal for my kiddos, so at least that helps it be rounded out. And I just put enough jelly on to add a little flavor.

Maggie
07-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I agree w/the others.. The reg. pb loaded w/sugar, white or not-so-wheat wheat bread and high sugar jelly are what make it junk food..
Oh, and lets not forget those wonderful frozen pb&j sandwiches that people buy for convience.. EWWW.

We use all fruit or low-sugar jelly, all natural pb and good wheat bread. I figure the bread gives fiber/carbs that he needs, PB gives protein and fats and jelly is for fun. Or maybe a fruit if it's all fruit..

ITA. I agree that it's the sugar, white bread, and trans-fats still found in some peanut butters that make it unhealthy. I think PB&J is very healthy if it's with all-natural or organic PB and fruit-sweetened jam.

Littledisciples
07-02-2007, 09:58 PM
When we have money we get fresh ground with Honey. My kids like it with Honey and Apple Butter too. I even give it too them with out sweetner. I use organic all natural Peanut butter here too. Once in a while we get the other but mostly that is what I get.

fairolivia
07-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Just moved back from Europe and all my non-American friends think PB&J is weird. I guess it's our Vegimite :yum :lol

One of our favorite snacks is almond butter and honey on ww bread. And I Iove tahini-- sesame butter. I used to eat an all nutural mixed nut butter from the Netherland of all places. It was super good and cheaper than just almond. Almond butter is suposed to be leaner and richer in vitamins, right?