PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with honeycomb?

poleidopy
06-28-2007, 06:56 AM
We buy these jars of raw honey and they have big chunks of honeycomb in them. What do we do with them? It's wax, right? I don't want to waste it if there's a use, but I don't know what it would be. Suggestions?

Oliveshoots
06-28-2007, 07:19 AM
I wonder if there is a way to clean them and make beeswax candles out of them? Or a way to make lotions/salves out of it?

:think

allisonintx
06-28-2007, 10:21 AM
I'd go for a salve because it doesn't have to be as pure for that.

ArmsOfLove
06-28-2007, 10:50 AM
as children we used to chew it :)

Chris3jam
06-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Stick the honey with the honeycomb into the blender and blend it all together (honeycomb, if pure, is very good for you), and you'll have a 'honey spread'. :)

poleidopy
06-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks ladies! All great ideas! I think I might give DS some to chew on. HE can't have gum b/c of allergies and at least if I let him chew some honeycomb it won't be bad if he swallows it! :)

LadyLilac
07-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Yes, you can make a wonderful salve with the wax chunks!
Make an herbal infusion by taking a glass mason jar and filling it with comfrey, plantain, and calendula. Cover these herbs with olive oil. Leave this in the sun for two or three days. Strain out the herbs. Add a few drops of tea tree oil and/or grapefruit seed extract. You can also add a few drops of lavender essential oil. Now, take out some wax chunks and melt them. The honey will add additional healing benefits, so don't worry about straining the wax. Once the wax has melted, warm the infused olive oil and blend the two together. Mix it well. Pour this into a plastic container. When it hardens, you have a fantastic healing balm or salve. Use this on diaper rashes, burns, scrapes, stings...the possibilities are endless!

Also, we love to chew our wax. In fact, our favorite way to eat raw honey is in the comb. If you spread the wax and honey together on a slice of warm, homemade bread the wax will melt right in. Wonderful health benefits exist in the wax!

Edited by PurpleButterfly to remove members WAHM link.

Ima LeShalosh
07-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Great info LavenderMom! I will have to try that. Our health food store sells these huge square chunks of honeycomb (with honey) and I have always just used it to curb my sweet tooth. I love chewing on beeswax...but the salve idea is a much better use of it :giggle

JJsMom
07-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Awesome ideas! We have our first hive this year and we'll have honeycomb in Sept. :rockon