PDA

View Full Version : so when you are giving up sugar but are craving sweets...

Beauty4Ashes
06-23-2007, 12:53 PM
what do you eat instead of chocolate? I am not drinking coffee any more and have reduced my intake of refined sugars considerably. I haven't bought any candy bars in a while now. But chocolate is sounding really good and I don't think that fruit will satisfy me. I have semi sweet chocolate chips in the fridge. My will power is slipping.

naturalmama2three
06-23-2007, 12:56 PM
take some cocoa, that is not sweetened, get a bananna, some ice and a lil water, throw in blender. blend together and drink! Chocolate with out unnatural sugar. its yummy I do this almost every night.

Thia
06-23-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm not avoiding sugar and that sounds good!

4MKfam
06-23-2007, 01:27 PM
If honey qualifies as acceptable (I'm trying to cut out refined sugar and HFCS), you could try subbing honey (use a bit less) in place of white or brown sugar in a cookie recipe and use up those chocolate chips... I did this with my favorite oatmeal cookie recipe (added oat bran and used honey with whole wheat flour to improve the nutritional quality) and it was AWESOME. They turned out even better than the regular recipe. Still a considerable sugar hit, but without refined sugar (except in the choc. chips :shifty --but I figure by the time you spread out an entire half bag (that's what I had left) into a whole batch of cookies, it's at least better than what i usually do, which is eat the choc. chips straight from the bag :doh :O. Next time I'm just going to get unsweetened carob chips. Those aren't nearly as appealing straight from the bag :giggle.
OOOH! I almost forgot --Odwalla bars are refined-sugar free as well (not sugar free, but free of refined sugar, anyway). They have a chocolate peanut one that is great, and a chocolate one that is really good as well ...if I could find it anywhere. The chocolate peanut ones are pretty easy to find, though.

godsgracegiven
06-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Chew gum? Sometimes when I am tempted to eat a ton of sugar. I chew gum instead and that helps.

Soliloquy
06-24-2007, 08:10 PM
:nak

1 pint of whipping cream, 3 T honey, 3 T natural cocoa (not the hot cocoa mix) and whip until it's like mousse :yum

or I have kombucha.

I cannot have chocolate in the house. :no I will eat it.

Zipporah
06-24-2007, 09:58 PM
I eat fresh dates. I know it's a fruit but they're so super sweet :yum

WI Mama05
06-25-2007, 05:00 AM
I cannot have chocolate in the house. :no I will eat it.

Um, me too :blush. We buy DH candy bars for his lunch at Sams and well, they've been a HUGE stumbling block lately. I want to put them somewhere else, but there's nowhere for them to go, so we'll see how some of these ideas work! Thanks!

Soliloquy
06-25-2007, 05:27 AM
Kim, ITU. Could your DH keep his candy at work?

inesperada
06-25-2007, 05:32 AM
:think I have a huge stockpile of refined and artificial sugar free sweets. There are several of the Endangered Species brand chocolate bars that are refined sugar free - one of them is my chocolate bar of choice. :yum I also have refined sugar free chocolate syrup (Wild Oats brand, but I'm sure there's another brand out there) that makes a lovely glass of chocolate milk. Breyer's 100% natural organic Ice Cream is refined sugar free, and there's a fudge ripple kind that I absolutely adore. Umm...I have a great recipe for honey chocolate cupcakes that I make occasionally. There's a brand called Wholly Wholesome that is refined sugar free that sells frozen chocolate chip cookie dough that has calmed my cookie cravings. :yum

I could probably continue... :shifty I told you, I have quite the enormous stockpile of sugar free treats that I have found.

Beauty4Ashes
06-25-2007, 07:42 AM
take some cocoa, that is not sweetened, get a bananna, some ice and a lil water, throw in blender. blend together and drink! Chocolate with out unnatural sugar. its yummy I do this almost every night.

I made this in the a.m. and added some flax seed and used milk instead of water. Delicious and filling! I'll have to try the other suggestions throughout the week. I just bought a big thing of honey to use in place of sugar.

WI Mama05
06-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Kim, ITU. Could your DH keep his candy at work?

Unfortunately, no. He works out of his car, so you can imagine what that would do to chocolate in the summertime :giggle