PDA

View Full Version : Help with my 1920's tub

MommaRhe
06-22-2007, 01:16 PM
We live in a row home built in 1923 - the bath tub is original - really, it's really neat. At some point someone added a shower to it, but otherwise it's as it was in 1923.

Anyway, my problem:

My girls were given 'soap crayons' as a gift. They love(d) them. Had a blast coloring in the bath. I thought they'd be great too - I mean, the box says the wash right off - after all, they are soap...yea, well...NO! Actually they don't. My tub is very porous and the color will not come off. At all.

We rent so I NEED to get the tub clean, HELP!

Jilly
06-22-2007, 01:18 PM
maybe a magic eraser would help?

Jill

allisonintx
06-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Yea, I was thinking a magic eraser might work. Bon Ami and a sponge? If all else fails, bleach gel.

MommaRhe
06-22-2007, 01:30 PM
LOL I've tried bleach and bleach gel - after I tried all my regular cleaners (for the tub usually just baking soda and lemon juice) but to no avail.

I've read not good things about the magic eraser so I've never actually bought one.

thomer
06-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Try Barkeepers Friend - kind of like Comet but nonabrasive. I work at a plumbing products company and they recommend that all the time for their cast iron tubs.

gentle_answer
06-22-2007, 01:36 PM
We have had the same problem with our tub (1900's cast iron). The red color was the only one that didn't come off but it evetually faded so much so that I was the only one that noticed it.

allisonintx
06-22-2007, 01:37 PM
I've seen the "evidence" about the magic erasers with those pictures of that poor scuffed up little boy, but I've used the ME's a lot and, even with my horribly sensitive skin, have never had a reaction of any kind.

ShangriLewis
06-22-2007, 04:46 PM
I have sensitive skin, too. I always keep them around. They are wonderful for cleaning strange things. Nothing would clean our kitchen floor and I did the whole thing with one of these and it was amazing.

Great for fridge door handles, too.

Rabbit
06-22-2007, 04:48 PM
I've started using the magic erasers, too. I use them bare handed, and even when a piece broke off, I scrubbed with it rubbing against my hand as hard as it was rubbing our tub, and it didn't hurt me at all. Maybe they shouldn't be a daily tool, but I like it better than I like bleach, which is nasty, lung destroying, skin burning, fabric melting, carcinogenic stuff.