PDA

View Full Version : Is my washer/dryer staining my clothes????

nurturinglovely
06-22-2007, 08:54 AM
okay, this is SO frustrating!!! i don't know if it is my washer or dyer.... i am thinking it is my dryer. But, when i do laundry, my clothes COME OUT stained! Like, my tops will have random oil looking stains of them; as though i had chapstick in there or something. -But i DON'T. What is even more baffeling is that it happened in the other washer/dryers at our old apartment.

I use natural laundry soap (charlies and citrus suds). I don't use dryer sheets or anything....

i am at a loss! Its at the point where i am nervous to do laundry for fear that my stuff will continue getting stained!

:shrug

anyone know what's going on?

tempus vernum
06-23-2007, 04:35 AM
I just read about this My new wash machine has "common washing problems" and has "greasy oily stains" listed.
Possible causes: not enough detergent, undiluted liquid fabric softener poureddirectly on fabric.
Solutions: treat with prewash stain remover or liquid detergent, increase detergent and water temperature, rewash, rub fabric softener stains with bar soap
Preventative measures: use correct amount of detergent and hottest water safe for fabric. Do not pour liquid fabric softener directly on fabric. See washing proceduresfor adding softener.

HTH!

something glorious
06-23-2007, 07:31 AM
navae, the same stinkin' thing is happening to me! i use tide, and always use the prescribed amount.....and i don't use fabric softener. although i *have* been using the cold cycle a lot lately.... :think i wonder if washing in a warm cycle instead would help.....hmmm.....

RealLifeMama
06-23-2007, 07:39 AM
We have this problem a lot!!!!!
It is only on the darks/colors, so maybe it is the cold water?

BearyBlessed
06-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Me too.

I usually use warm water, so I doubt it's *just* the cold water thing.I use TJ's detergent too, but I usually use slightly less than called for. Maybe that's my problem.

LittleSweetPeas
06-25-2007, 02:15 PM
I had this problem a while back but it was leaving rust like stains on my whites. So many things were ruined. I have no answer but can sympathize!

Ali
06-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Do you put the detergent in before the clothes and let it mix a little with the water first? I used to get detergent stains until I figured out you are not supposed to put the detergent on top of the laundry. I start the water, pour in the detergent, mix it around, and then load the clothes.

I'm sorry, that must be awfully frustrating!

Marrae
06-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Have you checked that there isn't something metal loose in the machine. It has happened to me with air rifle slugs which were left in pockets and then sitting in the seal of the machine getting rusty. :shifty

nurturinglovely
06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
I think it only happens to my whites/lights....maybe i *do* need to use more detergent... i don't really measure. :shifty

so wierd.

why would 'too little' soap cause oily looking stains??? :hunh :shrug

Myrtle
06-25-2007, 07:32 PM
why would 'too little' soap cause oily looking stains??? :hunh :shrug

Yeah, I think that's bizarre, too, but I fudge on the amounts sometimes, and I've noticed those oily spots on my darks lately. I've also been using the cold cycle more. :think Gonna' use the right amount of detergent and warm water from now on and see if it helps.

Gentle Journey
06-25-2007, 07:35 PM
IDK, but I got the rust stain problem :shrug It's happened in 3 different washers now. SO much ruined things!

tempus vernum
06-25-2007, 08:41 PM
I have always measured my detergent and almost never use cold water washing. The reason this caught my eye in the manual is we have these problems alot. Well, new machine and so far, no problems :shrug In fact, old oily stains are coming out :jawdrop Shocking to me. I don't know if maybe the old machine wasn't agitating properly to distribute the detergent. ANd I still can't figure out why oily stains = not enough detergent :think but that's what the manual said :shrug

I was pretty surprised when my clothes started getting cleaner now :shrug And I don't use fabric softener so . .. . . .

Myrtle
06-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Well, new machine and so far, no problems :shrug In fact, old oily stains are coming out

maybe ot, but what kind of machine did you get?

nurturinglovely
06-27-2007, 08:38 AM
so the consenses is - get a new machine??

poop.

:/

tempus vernum
07-01-2007, 08:45 PM
:hugheart I would start by measuring detergent and moving to warmer water :hugheart Then reconsider what to do. I do know that my dh is THRILLED that his work clothes are coming cleaner and I am happy that some of the shirts I had just moved to "gardening" shirts are coming back to the "decent t shirt" category :giggle.

We got a frigidaire front loader -- this one http://www.frigidaire.com/products/laundry/washers/front_load/prod_ATF6000F.asp
But we got it for $500 w/free delivery from a local store that always beats the lowest price ;)