PDA

View Full Version : when did you go from Mommy (Mama) to Mom??

joystrength
06-21-2007, 07:13 PM
My kiddos are 3 and 5 and they call me Mom more often than not. :/ :/
I'd prefer to "remain" Mommy for a few more years, and I ALWAYS refer to myself as "Mommy" when I'm talking to them (OK, well, when I don't say "I," but YKWIM!! :lol)

I remember being in 6th grade and a girl laughing at me because I still called my mother "Mommy;" I was 11 then. I still called her that for a year or so, I think.

SO, how old was your little one when you "graduated" to Mom??

hey mommy
06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
At 4.5.. :( He tried after he just turned 4, but I told him I wasn't ready to be 'mom' and I wanted him to call me 'mommy'. Now I'm just 'mom'..

JJsMom
06-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Well, a few months ago my 4 yo started calling me Mopsy or Mops :scratch :giggle and now he calls me Mopsy Flopsy. :giggle The other night he was in bed and yelling for me (I was nursing my dd) and he was calling me in this dramatic voice and it turned into "Mopsy Flopsy sat on a wall, Mopsy Flopsy had a great fall, all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put Mopsy Flopsy back together again." :laughtears It was so funny!
Sorry, I just had to share that.
All that to say my ds doesn't call me Mom yet. :giggle

Maggie
06-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Mine are just five and almost 2 and still call me Mommy. I hope they don't call me Mom for a long time yet.

poleidopy
06-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Caleb calls me mom anytime I am not paying attention to him. He'll say "Mommy? Mommy? Mommy? MOM!!!! usually I hear him then. :shifty
My best friend is 26 and still calls her mom mommy. :shrug

Marsha
06-22-2007, 05:41 AM
I still get called both by both my children. Yep, even my toddler sometimes calls me "mom". I hada moment when my oldest when from "ma-ma" to "mommy" but since then I have enjoyed graduating.

MommaRhe
06-22-2007, 05:46 AM
I get both and my girls are 5 and 2. I'm usually a combo of Momma and Mumma...not really the O sound, but not quite the U either.

5 yr old usually calls me mom when she wants something - in that long drawn out 'mooooooommmmmmm' way, 2 yr old when she's ready to get up - she'll just sit in bed and yell 'mom, mom, mom' over and over until I come get her.

JavaMama
06-22-2007, 05:56 AM
My 6yo and 4yo both call me Mom now. :cry Ds transitioned to calling me Mom instead of Momma in the last six months or so.

I'd really hoped that they would call me Momma longer. :sigh

Piper2
06-22-2007, 06:03 AM
Kevin went from "Mommy" to "Mom" somewhere around age 4, I think. It's kinda funny to me, because I and my brothers all still call our mom "Mama". :giggle My dad (who I still call "Daddy"), called his mother "Mother" until the day she died. But DH calls this mother "Mom".

I have an aunt who, when she was pregnant with their first (of 7) children, used to tell people, "Oh, he'll call us "Mother" and "Father"." Well, I always knew them to call their father "Daddy", and this first child ended up calling his mother "Mumbo"! :giggle

zak
06-22-2007, 06:06 AM
Reid (26 months) calls me "Mom" sometimes. He even told Hubby on their last "Man-Date" about it, "Sometimes I call her MOM". :/ :lol He told Hubby because I made a big deal out of it to him. I want him to keep calling me "Mama"!

TestifyToLove
06-22-2007, 06:15 AM
I'm still mommy to all my kids. Oldest is 11. I would actually be okay if the other kids transitioned to mom but they refuse.

Havilah
06-22-2007, 06:19 AM
My sister and I still call our mom "mama". We don't use that term in the third person, but I really never call her "mom" to her face. Not sure why... we just never made that transition. :scratch I guess "mama" doesn't sound baby-ish to me, it just sounds southern. "Mommie" does sound babyish... but James has never called me that, probably because I've never modeled it.

I don't think James has ever called me "mom". I'm sure it will be bittersweet when he does.

MommaRhe
06-22-2007, 06:45 AM
I also wanted to add - I still occasionally call my mom 'mommy'. About 2 weeks ago I was miserable with a horrible sinus infection and was in so much pain I called her crying 'mommy help'.

NoodleMom
06-22-2007, 07:31 AM
still get called all three depending on the mood of any child

hey mommy
06-22-2007, 07:43 AM
still get called all three depending on the mood of any child

That's true too. LOL..

But C didn't even start saying mama until he was 2.5, so I've only had 2 years of mama, then mommy, now I'm mom. It's just too soon...

Wonder Woman
06-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Jaden went from 'mama' to 'mom' almost as soon as he started talking :/ He only calls me 'mama' when he's being supersweet...or when he wants something :shifty

NoodleMom
06-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Rebecca- Nah he doesnt he calls you WonderWoman!!

Wonder Woman
06-22-2007, 07:59 AM
:giggle that too! :yes

doubleblessings
06-25-2007, 05:35 AM
DD (almost 3) sometimes says Mom. She says it more when my mom is around and I forget and call her mom instead of Gran.

Marielle
07-02-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm momma and he's daddy. It's a southern thing and since hubby refers to me as momma (which is what he grew up with) then the kids call me that. Growing up and to this day my parents are mami & papi which to english speakers sounds like mommy but it's not. My husband and his siblings all still call the 'rents momma & daddy.

fourbygrace
07-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Mine all still call me "Mommy" or " Momma". They switch from one to the other for no apparent reason. I'm not even sure how "Momma" got started, but I'm ok with it. Even my 9 year old has never called me "Mom". I am happy with that. I don't want to be "Mom" yet.

My DH calls his mother "Mother" (and his maternal grandmother is "Grandmother"). It sounds so cold to me. :shifty I am thankful that MIL is ok with my children calling her "Grandma" and not "Grandmother", but they do call their great-grandmother "Great-Grandmother".

PurpleButterfly
07-02-2007, 10:28 PM
See, this is why it's worth raising a family in the South - mama's stay mama's forever. ;) :hearts

Heather Micaela
07-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Funny because I have been pondering this from a different angle - the fear that I would be Mommy forever. Because that is what happened to me and my brother. We were 16 and still saying mommy and daddy. Which meant they were "hey you" in front of friends. But mom/dad seemed unnatural. I still call thme that and my brother after years of "hey you" even to thier face switched to mother and dad.

So even though my klids primarily say mommy and daddy I refer to dh at times as "your dad" and he refers to me as "your mom".

On ocassion dd has said "mom" or "dad" - ds seems to like Mama in a southerny way.

Eowyn
07-03-2007, 12:47 AM
Mine pretty much started out calling me mom. :shrug

boonpnutsmom
07-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I am 32, almost 33 and still call all; my MIL, my hanai mom, and my mommie..... mommy.... so my kids will probably all do the same. The only one that I do not is my step-mom, I have never called her anything but her name. I refer to her as my mom when I talk about her, but I call her by her name when talking to her.