PDA

View Full Version : Where to find reusable grocery bags?

klpmommy
06-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I am looking for inexpensive reusable grocery bags. I have no clue where to look, or even what to look for to be sure they are going to last. TIA!

DoulaClara
06-19-2007, 10:19 AM
:popcorn I'll lurk here! I know Martha Stewart had a show where she made some, they looked pretty easy. I think from a loosly woven linen? I wonder if actual directions are on her website, otherwise I can try to go by memory.

I used to reuse Trader Jo bags for long periods of time; they're remarkably resiliant. Right now I'm using and reusing some paper handle bags I got when at the Farmer's Market.

I'd love to see some answers to this as well! I'm not close to a JoAnn's or Michaels or anything, and when I'm ever around one, I never think about the bags!

Clara

crunchymum
06-19-2007, 10:23 AM
i love the trader joe's bags, especially the new, colorful ones! :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/7711310@N02/475601019/ i have the old canvas ones, but i'm eyeing the new ones. :shifty

i've also seen cheap canvas ones at ikea, i think 1.49 per bag.

SPKarenO
06-19-2007, 10:25 AM
i've seen canvas ones at albertsons and longs drugstore - both for 99 cents each.

Soliloquy
06-19-2007, 10:32 AM
the frontier co-op has them and there's a website reusablebags.com but I don't know how cheap they are . . .

allisonintx
06-19-2007, 10:36 AM
http://www.chicobag.com/ I'd love to have about thirty of these.

Naked Camper
06-19-2007, 10:42 AM
http://www. sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/clothbags.html

The Tickle Momster
06-19-2007, 01:55 PM
The ones from Trader Joe's are awesome and only 99 cents. I have 4 of them. They are made of recycled plastic.

klpmommy
06-19-2007, 02:21 PM
I'll have to go to Trader Joe's. I keep meaning to go, but it isn't that close so I haven't been yet. I can probably swing $1/bag, but if it is more than that dh will throw a fit, esp since I can get bags from the store for free. :rolleyes I still need to get some bags for kitty litter, but no where near as many bags as I get on a regular basis.

I am feeling too lazy to make any right now. :giggle Thank you so much for the links & suggestions!

crunchymum
06-19-2007, 02:36 PM
remember you can fit MUCH more into a reusable bag than a disposible one.... i do "big grocery shopping" every two weeks or so, and i use about 8 bags. :shrug

klpmommy
06-19-2007, 02:41 PM
I am thinking about buying 4 or 5 bags as a trial, if I need more than I can get throw away bags from the store to supplement, but that way I am not making a huge initial purchase & if it really works well (like I always remember to have the bags in my car when I go to the store) then I can buy a few more if I need to. :yes

crunchymum
06-19-2007, 02:42 PM
:tu

Piper2
06-19-2007, 03:46 PM
I have some Ecobags (the string kind) that I take to Wild Oats when I remember to. I tried taking them to Kroger a few times, but the cashiers looked at me like I was from Mars whenever I pulled them out, and I promise they ran my things through the scanner faster than they would have if a bag boy was bagging them, which held up the line (the bag boys wouldn't touch my bags, like they were infected with typhoid or something) and earned me dirty looks from both the cashier and the customers behind me. :/ Add to that the fact that Kroger doesn't give any kind of discount for using your own bags, it wasn't worth it.

canadiyank
06-19-2007, 03:49 PM
I reuse paper bags, although I have some "reusable" canvas etc. one but I don't like that they flop over. I saw our Fred Meyer is selling reusable bags that stand up for 99 cents now! :woohoo I think I'll start buying one every trip to build up a supply. They also give 5 cents back if you reuse bags. :tu

Punkie
06-19-2007, 03:54 PM
I was about to mention the bag credit too. The bags pay for themselves within a month or two :)

I have some from reusablebags.com that are great. I bought them during a sale, and ordered some of their loose bags so they were much cheaper. If you have a vitamin cottage near you, they are doing a special right now where you get a free bag for every $35 you spend and each additional one is 99 cents. I also have some of the Trader Joe's ones, and I think I paid between a dollar and two dollars depending on the size. :think

OH! Don't forget Goodwill or the Salvation Army. They always have a million canvas bags and you can usually get them for less than .25.

Cheyenne
06-19-2007, 04:11 PM
I love the red trader Joe's bags. :tu We have about 6 of them now. They stand up great like regular grocery bags and they are stronger. I am not as concerned about having the handle break while I am carrying them. :no

something glorious
06-19-2007, 05:06 PM
i have *fabulous* ones from IKEA...big, sturdy, and they wipe clean- no need to throw 'em in the washer :no in fact, i'd be willing to buy 'em for GCM-ers. at $2 a pop i believe (+ tax & shipping).

klpmommy
06-19-2007, 05:10 PM
I live close to an Ikea, but that store is sooooooo overwhelming! No quick trips there! Although P&E both like the play area! :)

something glorious
06-19-2007, 07:00 PM
well, at my ikea they were situated *right* by the registers....so i just entered through the ground floor, strutted right by the cash registers, picked up 8, and headed right back out through the self-serve registers. i think i was in there 3 minutes total :yes

anyway, i have to go back for paper refills for E's easel, so if anyone is interested, let me know ASAP....i have to pay a toll to go over the bridge, so i only wanna go once :grin

klpmommy
06-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Part of the problem is that the kids love the play area. Everytime we drive by "Mommy, can we go to Ikea & play with the balls?" :giggle Even E will go & she won't go anywhere else w/o me or Daddy. I really do love Ikea, we have gotten some great deals there (and we have the same easel, the kids use it daily). If you are in need of an abacus, they have a nice one there for $10. :rockon

JavaMama
06-19-2007, 07:11 PM
If you order from Frontier, they now they have some Ecolution products including an Organic cotton bag that's lightweight (but holds 25-35lb) for only $1.85... they also have a hemp bag that is $4.75. :) They're fair trade and organic cotton, and that's a great price too. :) http://www.ecolution.com/india-organic/products/catalog.asp?category=Bags

The Organic cotton one that I have folds up really nice and small... you could easily tuck a few in the glovebox.

I have a few EcoBags string bags but they annoy me more than anything. I can't put my groceries in the bags in a super orderly fashion like I prefer. :shifty

bliss
06-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Punkie beat me to it, but all mine are second-hand, they are always SO cheap, and you can find them with cool things on them, like museums or festivals from other states.

zak
06-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Ooohhhh!! SO glad I saw this thread!! Hubby just told me to order some more EcoBags... but at $7 a pop... that's going to add up fast!

Ikea.... :think Hmmm.... I need to go to IKEA!!! Off to find a friend to meet up with there! :shifty

something glorious
06-21-2007, 02:39 AM
now if only *this* friend weren't a million miles away...pout, pout...

zak
06-21-2007, 04:54 AM
:pout I know, L!!! When are you coming to visit your bro? We need to meet up!!

something glorious
06-21-2007, 04:59 AM
tell me about it!!

well, right now money is.....i don't know, what is something beyond tight? nonexistant? :lol

and i have to fly to FL at the end of july for a wedding, and then we will be staying at the beach for a week at the start of august. and then *hopefully* i'll be starting a job as a residence director at DH's university in late august. i've got to find SOME time in there to squeeze in a trip....i really, really wanna meet you (and the other ATL GCMs!).

working on it.....

zak
06-21-2007, 05:05 AM
:rockon (I totally get ya about the $$$!)

klpmommy
06-21-2007, 06:07 AM
And I am guessing that you are both too far from the MI Ikea to meet up. :pout

zak
06-21-2007, 06:15 AM
:yes2 Sadly... yes.

But I need a trip... I need some of those swedish meatballs! :yum

something glorious
06-21-2007, 06:17 AM
unfortunately, you are correct kimberely :(

mom2threegirls
06-21-2007, 06:58 AM
I tried taking them to Kroger a few times, but the cashiers looked at me like I was from Mars whenever I pulled them out, and I promise they ran my things through the scanner faster than they would have if a bag boy was bagging them, which held up the line (the bag boys wouldn't touch my bags, like they were infected with typhoid or something) and earned me dirty looks from both the cashier and the customers behind me. Add to that the fact that Kroger doesn't give any kind of discount for using your own bags, it wasn't worth it.

What a pain! This is why I've been reluctant to get some.... :yes2 I just need to do it though and deal with possible negative reactions at the store- and maybe I will be pleasantly surprised! (though I do kinda doubt it!).

Do the IKEA bags stand up on their own??? If so, this totally warrants a trip to IKEA!! Haven't been there for months and now I have a reason :lol. We like TJ's too but IKEA is more fun :yes.

something glorious
06-21-2007, 07:10 AM
YES! that is one of the best things about them....how structured they are! and while i used to use canvas, i prefer the material these are made of, as they can just be wiped clean, rather than requiring a ride through the washing machine.... :tu

mom2threegirls
06-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Oh awesome!! That's great! Let's see...trying to figure out when can we get to IKEA now... :think :smile