PDA

View Full Version : Kid friendly sofas?

momofmany
06-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Dh and I have been going back and forth on whether or not to buy new sofas for the past couple years. Our old ones are really old and worn but I've been slipcovering them so they look okay. Now the stuffing is starting to come out so we are probably going to have to invest in new ones so I'm wondering if what kind of material will hold up to four rambunctious kids? :shifty I'm afraid to invest the money and have them look dirty after only a couple months.

Lady TS
06-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Don't know if this helps or not, but we are not buying any new furniture until the kids are past the wet/dirty diaper, sick kids not making it to the toilet to be sick, jumping on furniture at every whim stage. It's just too much of an investment to risk wasting money on at this point.

We instead got our old, about to fall apart furniture replaced with SIL's 'old' furniture. In your case, I would much rather look at secondhand rather than new.

But if I were looking for NEW furniture that would last, I would get leather. Easy clean and durable. :rockon

Nightingale
06-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Microfiber...very easy to clean, just wipe with a wet cloth or a baby wipe.

Our couch was $300, and we added on $69, and they'll fix any stain or rip, tear, whatever, for 5 years.

hey mommy
06-18-2007, 01:52 PM
My SIL and BIL have one that is either microfiber or microsuede(sp?) and it's awesome.. DN got a bloody nose all over it and it wiped right off w/a towel.

That's the kind we're going to get, probably in 80 years when we can afford new furniture.

Iarwain
06-18-2007, 02:12 PM
I have pretty much decided that if/when we are ever able to buy new furniture I'm getting a pair of futon sofas that use a fairly standard full size mattress. I will then cover the mattress with a waterproof cover and some pretty sheets that are easy to take off and wash. If at some point I no longer have children that spill/smear/leak things on the furniture then I will consider removing the waterproof layer. Not only will it be easier to keep in good condition but there are no cushions to remove and make into a landing pad as soon as mom's back is turned.

LittleSweetPeas
06-18-2007, 02:26 PM
We bought a pair from Cost Plus. They had removable but fitted slipcovers. So I am able to wash them pretty frequently if needed.

Now we got them in a khaki color--probably not smart--and I wish we'd purchased two slipcovers. oh well.

SouthPaw
06-18-2007, 02:42 PM
microfiber is awesome!! like cheyenne said, everything just wipes off. and with dogs and kids on it all day, mine still looks nice if i give it a wipe down. very durable.

Mrs. Potatohead
06-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Another vote for microfiber! One of my kids scribbled all over with marker right after we got ours. I called the furniture store and asked what to do. She said, "dish soap and water." It came right off!! LOVE our red microfiber sectional sofa and chair!!!