PDA

View Full Version : Consigning...

RealLifeMama
06-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Where should this go? I chose JH because it is decluttering related, but maybe under finances would be better??

Remember my post about decluttering, and how my DH insists I sell everything I can?
Well, I decided that I am going to put all the nice kids clothes I want to sell in one of our area's huge kid's consignment sales. There are several organized consignment sales, not shops, but sales, where people put their items in and the sale runs for a weekend or so. You pay a small fee and then get 2/3 of what you ask.
I am thinking I might do well, because I have several size 4 or 5 dresses and outfits that are cute but she has *never* worn them. You know how hard it is to find decent new stuff at a consignment sale- usually there is a ton of baby stuff, but by the time the clothes get big, they are worn out.
I need some help figuring out what to ask for some of these items. They are not "name brand", (meaning, not Hanna or Lands End, etc) just regular ol' clothes from Macy's (Flapdoodles, Charter Club, etc) I have a few holiday items as well.
What would you be willing to pay for a like new, non-name brand outfit at a consignment sale? I have a tendency to be cheap, so I always ask too little, I think. If the item had been worn, I'd say like 3 bucks, but new, I do not know...

And what about used dancewear? (leotards, skirts)

cheri
06-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I won't pay a lot for used clothes. We have a consignment shop here that I visit sometimes and I won't pay more than $3-4 for a casual dress or 2 piece outfit, no matter what the brand or if it still is new with tags. I'd pay more for a nicer holiday or special occasion dress, though, but still not more than $5-6. I'm cheap!

People are looking for deals at sales like that, IMO. Even if it's new they're not going there looking for new clothes, they're looking for cheap. So I'd still price them really low, especially if it's not a well known name brand.

Katiebug
06-17-2007, 07:21 PM
For brand new with tags things, I would probably ask 50% of what I paid for them in a consignment type situation. Nearly new stuff, maybe 35%. Less at a garage sale.