PDA

View Full Version : help little samuel: heat rash on newborn

GodChick
06-14-2007, 04:27 PM
stupid TX heat!! ds (5 weeks old) has a heat rash. we went outside this morning around 11am and i had him in a cotton gause wrap that i made. i thought cotton gause at 11am would be cool enoug, but apparently not!!! :banghead any recommendations for heat rash? i've read to use cool water than hydrocortisone . . . but something not a corticosteroid would be nice. i've got welenda cream, but don't want to use it if it will hold in heat. also have cornstarch powder, and J&J "medicated" powder. (has zinc oxide in it, like what's in diaper creams.)

cobluegirl
06-14-2007, 04:53 PM
won't it just go away? does it bother him?

hbmamma
06-14-2007, 04:54 PM
A cool water bath has always worked for my kids...like slightly cooler than lukewarm. Just let him stay in it as long as he's comfortable.

a bit of cornstarch wouldn't be a bad idea either, especially on the areas that have to touch (armpits, knees, neck, groin). Loose clothing or just the diaper for tonight...

:hugheart

Lady TS
06-14-2007, 04:59 PM
It was sooo hot and humid when dd was born 2 years ago. She spent her first months pretty much naked because she would get heat rash.

I agree with the cool baths and the naked time(with a dipe, but no clothes, not even a onesie). Gotta let that skin breathe! (though I know it goes against the mommy instinct to leave ones' baby unclothed, huh?). Powder helped but didn't cure it at all. I wouldn't put anything on it if baby doesn't seem bothered by it. Putting stuff(lotions and all) on it can actually make it worse, from what I've read.

:hug2