PDA

View Full Version : How often do you donate

liamum
06-11-2007, 10:12 AM
How often do you donate toys in order to cut back on clutter?

We just moved to our new home in February, but I already feel like I need to donate a portion of DS's toys. I guess because he has seen so many relatives recently that he got a bunch more matchbox cars and stuff.

cornflower
06-11-2007, 10:35 AM
I could easily cull the toys once a month and have things everytime to be donated.

liamum
06-11-2007, 10:39 AM
I could easily cull the toys once a month and have things everytime to be donated.

This is how I have been feeling and I guess I was wondering if that is normal.

joyful mama
06-11-2007, 10:45 AM
probably every few months, but could easily do it more than that.

liamum
06-11-2007, 11:02 AM
:phew guess I am not alone in this then!

Havilah
06-11-2007, 11:09 AM
there is a goodwill truck down the street from our house, so we donate small amounts at least once a month... sometimes more than once a week if i'm on a roll. it's important to my motivation to get the stuff *out* of the house quickly, so i don't save up a pile of stuff before i donate. i think the lady who accepts the donations probably rolls her eyes when i drive up with one or two measley items :giggle

liamum
06-11-2007, 11:18 AM
i think the lady who accepts the donations probably rolls her eyes when i drive up with one or two measley items giggle

LOL- oh two of the Goodwill truck people know my family really well. Seriously!

GrowingInGrace
06-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Well, we're on a roll of donating lots of things, including toys. We've had so many of them that I've had to. And most of them are stupid electronic toys that are annoying anyway or stuffed animals that multiply when you aren't looking.

I've made two rounds in the past two weekends. And I got rid of a lot of baby toys at a garage sale about a month and a half ago.

mom2threegirls
06-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Yes, I too could go every month or two and have stuff to give them :shrug. There are times when I don't go for 3 months or so and other times when I'm there every week, but I'm there often regardless. My girls seem to value and play with their toys a LOT more when there aren't tons of them all over the place :yes.

malakoa
06-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I boxed up two HUGE boxes of toys (we're moving) and I'm very tempted to get rid of them..

liamum
06-11-2007, 01:15 PM
I think I'll put some toys in a small box or bag to drop off tomorrow. You all have inspired me :)

tempus vernum
06-12-2007, 06:40 AM
I want to start the "one thing in, one thing out" rule. For birthdays, we have tried this unsuccessfully so far. WHat I mean is let's say they get 4 presents, they need to find 4 toys to get rid of.

Or if they come home with a happy meal toy, in order to keep something, a toy needs to "move out" to make room for it!

That said, I donate around once a month. SOmetimes it's a small bag sometimes it's larger. I just foundout I can "drive up" at Salvation Army so I am moving to donate there instead of goodwill!

liamum
06-12-2007, 02:18 PM
"one thing in, one thing out" rule

I do this for my books.

Joyful Melissa
06-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I want to start the "one thing in, one thing out" rule. For birthdays, we have tried this unsuccessfully so far. WHat I mean is let's say they get 4 presents, they need to find 4 toys to get rid of.

Great rule! I think I'm going to start doing that.

Sarai
06-13-2007, 12:09 PM
I go thru DS's toys before his birthday and Christmas and donate then. In between times (and when I moved last summer) I go thru and "donate" to grandma's house. She likes this because she loves having toys on hand for the grandkids, and this way she doesn't have to go out & buy them (though she does anyway! ;) ).

I also like the "one in, one out" rule. I haven't really implemented that w/DS yet, but I do it myself when I buy new clothes. :)

liamum
06-13-2007, 12:43 PM
I do it myself when I buy new clothes.

Oh that is a good idea too.

KatieMae
06-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I don't think I've sold or donated ANY toys, ever. Some have broken & gotten thrown away, but I keep thinking that we're not done having babies (or 1-year olds or 2-year olds, etc) so I need to keep the toys for each age range. :shrug

liamum
06-13-2007, 02:02 PM
I keep thinking that we're not done having babies

I guess my thought it, if we do have a second it may be a child who is not as obsessed with cars as DS - like if we have a girl, or a boy more into other things. Also, DS was the first and only grandchild until nine months ago, so he had an excessive amount of things given to him by relatives.