PDA

View Full Version : Need a new washer - what brands/models are good HE front loads? and diaper ?

tempus vernum
06-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Our washer died a sad death today complete with water spurting all over our basement floor. Thankfully, I didn't realize it until the last load of laundry for the week was FINISHED :phew and thankfully, we do all our laundry on the weekends :rolleyes

DH does all the work on our apliances and thinks it's time to say goodbye to this one. He feels we've put enough money into this one and it's time for a new one.

I am not sure where to start researching. Dh wants a front loading HE washer and I am tickled pink at the thought :rockon

But I want to be sure we get a reliable one. I think my mom's has needed work several times in the first 2 years she's owned hers :think

We don't need bells and whistles like delayed start or anything. Just your basics -- hot, warm, and cold wash. Delicate cycle. Option for single or double rinse.

Also, what is the scoop on front loaders and cloth diapers? Is it possible to do your diapers in front loaders or not? I don't even have anyone in cloth diapers at the moment but feel we need to know this!

Oh and what are average prices. We are hoping to go to Sears outlet center but I would like to do some research before walking in. WHat's a good outlet center discount off of "sticker" price? I am a little nervous about all this. It seems like such a huge buy :nails

hink4687
06-11-2007, 09:06 PM
We have the HE front loading steam washer and dryer and love it! :rockon It is the more pricey one though. For diapers it has a sanitary cycle which is awesome. We also bought ours a home depot and before we bought it we bought a coupon off of ebay so we got 20% off plus another 10% off because they were having a special running at the time. so before you buy somewhere check for coupons on ebay because it can save you a lot of money!!!

i think the front loading washers had problems when they first came out but for the most part I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them now that the bugs have been worked out.

cindergretta
06-11-2007, 09:15 PM
We have the Kenmore HE3, I think...... We've had our's for a year with no problems. My parents have had their's (same model) for two or three years, no problems.

Anyway, I LOVE mine!!!! I am doing like 2 1/2 loads to every *1* I used to do!! You can save money by not getting colors, not getting extras (like you already mentioned!) and getting a slightly smaller capacity. Watch for sales. We bought ours on 0% financing for one year. We put the money aside and paid it off. We also got a rebate on delivery and set up. Oh, and get a "last year's model." I couldn't tell for the life of me what was different or worse, but they sell off the "old" ones at lower prices. And we didn't get the pedastals, either. It can be a little hard on your back, but that is what dc are for! :giggle My youngest two LOVE putting laundry in the washer and dryer! :giggle

lavender mom
06-11-2007, 09:24 PM
We bought an LG washer at Best Buy a few months ago and I love it. (ours isn't the steam one- I think it's a step or two lower, but it's not the bottom LG either- sorry I can't remember the model- I think it's on special at Home Depot this week...) Anyway, it's very versatile. I can do a load in 30 minutes or 2 hours, and everything in between depending on how dirty I think it is. The clothes come out clean, and practically dry! It's *much* quieter than my old lemon of a front loader. I can hardly hear this one when it spins. My other one sounded like a 747 taking off! I think Sears has also recently started carrying the washer I bought, so you might have good luck at the outlet.

eta: I was able to do diapers in my old front loader. I couldn't soak them like some do, but they washed well. I've heard of many people with front loaders washing diapers. Back when I was using CDs (5 years ago now!) the only thing you had to be careful of was detergent build up. With a HE frontloader it was easy to use too much detergent.

Ali
06-11-2007, 09:46 PM
As appliances go, you can rarely go wrong with a Kenmore from Sears. They are noted for their reliability. :tu